TI5VG+ -Z4-1111 w/ Award Modular BIOS v4.51PG

BIOS update, EIDE card, or overlay software? (FAQ Hard disk recognition)
Jedidiah
New visitors - please read the rules.

I'm working on a K6-2/333 (please don't ask why, I don't know) & I'm running into BIOS troubles.

1) Basically cranky about auto-detecting hard drives
2) 32GB barrier
3) USB non-functional

Aside from that, it's running happy as a clam with W98SE or W2k Pro. Doesn't seem to care which.

I've tried a variety of old drives just to see what works & what doesn't, & I'm not having any trouble getting them recognized if I set the parameters myself & clip drives > 32GB. While the drive limitations are annoying, it's really no biggy. The whole point of this box, though, is essentially to serve as a USB hub with some drive space ...

Clean some junk out of the closet, get a bit more use from it ... spend nothing ... we've all been there, right ?

The board is a TMC Ti5vg+
http://www.zen26266.zen.co.uk/Ti5vg+.htm

I can't seem to find a BIOS update that I have any confidence in ... one that references that board, of that version, with that chipset, etc.

Any help ? I'm willing to hose it but getting it right would be fun, too. I'd appreciate suggestions from someone more knowledgeable than myself.

Thanks -

Program: eSupport.com BIOS Agent Version 3.66
BIOS Date: 11/06/98
BIOS Type: Award Modular BIOS v4.51PG
BIOS ID: 11/06/1998-VP3-586B-W877-2A5LEM2LC
OEM Sign-On: TI5VG+ -Z4-1111
Chipset: VIA 82C597 rev 4
Superio: Winbond 877TF (use 87h) rev 0 found at port 3F0h
CPU: AMD-K6(tm) 3D processor 332 MHz
BIOS ROM In Socket: Unknown
BIOS ROM Size: Unknown
Memory Installed: 383 MB
Memory Maximum: Unknown
ACPI Revision: Unknown
cp
BIOS Guru

how do you know that the USB ports are non-functional?

get rid of Winblows 98(SE) and install Windows 2k with at least SP4. make sure to clip the boot drive to 32GB so it can be detected in the bios (or install a smaller hdd as boot drive). you can hook up all other drives to the IDE ports, too BUT WITHOUT detecting them in the bios. don't worry, Windows 2k doesn't even give a dime about the bios. now install W2k and get all necessary updates. then install the VIA chipset drivers (get them at viaarena.com) and after that you can partition the drives the bios doesn't even know :) the windows partitioning tool will just do fine.

while getting the VIA drivers you'll notice that the 4-in-1 drivers will install the USB drivers, too. but i recommend to install a cheap USB2.0 pci card anyway..just for some gain in bandwidth and speed :)

another thing i would do: run the K6-2 with 100MHz FSB at 350MHz which is within the limits of the core. it shouldn't affect stability but would boost performance compared to the 66MHz FSB you are running now.

oh, and by the way: you could get a small auto-install linux, too. for free and for complete hardware support.
If you email me include [WIMSBIOS] in the subject.
KachiWachi
The New Guy

You could also get BiosMan to patch your current BIOS.

Thanks.
BiosMan
The BIOS Patcher

Jedidiah, there is a TI5VG+ -Z6-0525 BIOS available for your board with full 128GB support. A patched version of this BIOS, with full K6+ support, is available from my k6plus page.
See my signature below for the link and download the TI5VGZ6J.ZIP file.

Greetings, Jan.
The Unofficial AMD K6-2+ / K6-III+ page
http://web.inter.nl.net/hcc/J.Steunebrink/k6plus.htm
KachiWachi
The New Guy

Thanks for replying Jan!

(I though you might have a patched BIOS handy. :wink: )
Jedidiah
New visitors - please read the rules.

Thanks much guys, I'll hit it with that patch & maybe have a networked hub box that I'm not so tempted to fix with the 3 pound sledge I keep handy on the bench.

JED