Search found 14 matches

by kellj
Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:36 am
Forum: My motherboard is dead
Topic: MB turns off during win2k install - Will xp bios work for 2k
Replies: 22
Views: 11773

My apologies to Wim's Bios for taking up bios unrelated space here. And my thanks to Edwin and all who have read this thread. What I initially thought might be a bios update problem really was only a cracked cpu fan mount problem. There is probably no forum addressing that issue! Maybe I should sta...
by kellj
Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:36 am

I have discovered a hairline fracture in the mounting plastic piece for the cpu fan. I believe that this may have allowed the fan to mount improperly on the cpu and that is probably why it was shutting down. I have been able to reinstall win2k in the older drive that I was previosly using and it boo...
by kellj
Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:06 pm

So I guess it wouldn't hurt to update the bios and see if it makes a difference? Problem is the only bios upgrade offered on the hp site is a windows based bios upgrade which I guess you can't just throw onto a floppy for a dos style upgrade.
by kellj
Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:49 pm

I have taken out the board and examined it up close and there really doesn't seem to be any visible problems. I did read on the badcap site that caps can still be bad without any bulging or leaks. I may just spring for a capacitor tester..
by kellj
Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:21 pm

No, but that's a good idea. I'll take the board out and have a real close look at it. Thanks
by kellj
Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:08 pm

Oh, I forgot to mention, the old hard drive that was previously working with this board no longer works any differently than the other drives do.
by kellj
Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:07 pm

Thanks Edwin, I checked the chip and the thermal grease was very evenly applied and the fan was firmly held to it.
by kellj
Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:39 pm

Okay, I've done some work and it's not looking too good. Memory: I have three sticks of pc2700 that I have gotten free from friend's working computers. I tried each seperately in the presario and shut down occured in all cases. I tried to run the memtest but it would start up fine, run for about a m...
by kellj
Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:41 am

Thanks Edwin, Those are some good assignments for me, Man you're a taskmaster! I will try to post back here tommorrow with some results for you. Wish me luck.
:wink:
by kellj
Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:01 pm

Also, I was thinking why would the old drive work so well if there were bad caps in there?
by kellj
Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:41 pm

Thanks, I have been doing a bit of searching on this and I saw that material on bad capacitors so I raced down expecting to see the bulging caps and leaks but to my surprise they look perfect. not a bulge or leak among them.
by kellj
Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:22 pm

MB turns off during win2k install - Will xp bios work for 2k

Hi there, first post here. I got a free Presario SR1033WM with a 2.8 celeron that I'm hoping will reduce the fighting between kids for the computers around here. There was no hard drive so I put one of mine in and started loading up win2k. It keeps shutting off at various points during the install ...