Search found 8 matches

by lfs
Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:28 am
Forum: In-depth High-tech BIOS section
Topic: unused memory location
Replies: 1
Views: 2812

unused memory location

Hello everyone, I would like to modify my award 6 bios to display the fullscreen splash image in 24-bit color mode, instead of 8-bit. So I'm thinking I may need some temporary space (a few megs) to write stuff to (temporarily). Where is it safe to write in memory? I don't want to overwrite something...
by lfs
Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:21 am
Topic: Keeping logo on screen until OS changes it
Replies: 10
Views: 7327

whoo hoo!!!

I figured out the problem! It is a bug in cbrom! I had the files awardext.rom and awardext-modified.rom in the same directory. When doing "cbrom215.exe mybios /xgroup awardext-modified.rom", it will actually insert awardext.rom (it truncates your filename to 8 chars). BUT, when you run cbrom /D, it ...
by lfs
Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:40 am

Now I'm even more confused. I've been inserting the bytes FAEBFE (cli, short jump to same address) to freeze the bios in different places. I found that inserting it right before/over a "call 0x1000:0x28f8" made the bios freeze before the text gets printed, and placing it right after that call made t...
by lfs
Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:07 pm

Thanks for the help everyone. I found out that the last POST function (127) calls a function that resets the video mode right before it jumps to the xgroup. After removing that with NOPs, the screen stays in graphics mode! However... There is still one thing that is not quite right. I still get the ...
by lfs
Thu Jul 20, 2006 4:54 am

Using int10 is not the only method to display text. :) I know... I wish it were that easy :) They DO use some vesa stuff to switch to 640x480x256 colors, through the int 10 mechanism. After that I think they probably retrieve a pointer to the video card's vesa functions and call them directly, but ...
by lfs
Sun Jul 16, 2006 3:11 pm

Just to add more info... the "Verifying DMI Pool" string is located in awardext.bin. The mode switch occurs before this, but I don't know whether it's in awardext or the main system bios. I removed all int 0x10's from awardext as well, but it still prints that string. I did see a few places where st...
by lfs
Sun Jul 16, 2006 2:14 am

Keeping logo on screen until OS changes it

Hello all, I have a Via M10000, with on-board video and 6.00PG bios. My goal is to keep the fullscreen logo showing until my Linux kernel switches video modes and displays something else (removing text output from LILO and kernel, etc). So I removed all int 0x10's from my system bios, bootblock bios...