A7N8X-Deluxe

Hot-swapping and Boot-Block flash & Boot block flash and floppy support
statement
New visitors - please read the rules.

I fried my BIOS during an attempting update. I've been working on this for about 4 hours (with a dinner break) and here's where I've gotten:

The bootblock is working. I can get awdflash to run, however I'm guessing I corrupted something that identifies my chipset to awdflash because every image I've tried fails with "bios-lock string does not match with your system."

I tried putting awdflash.exe something.bin /py in autoexec.bat, hoping that was the proper switch to force the update. Same error.

I tried uniflash. Doesn't support my motherboard.

I've tried several versions of awdflash, finally the one on the original CD works. I've tried multiple ROM images from Asus for v2.00 boards.

I have an Asus A7N8X-Deluxe v2.00. nForce 2 chipset.

Is there a way to force the ROM to flash? I'm getting a bit frustrated. It would be awesome to get this running this weekend.

I was thinking about getting a new mb/cpu; guess now I have a reason. I might get another board off ebay and do the hotswap or look into a replacement bios chip.
KURIAKI

This is the latest version from Asus site:
ftp://dlsvr01.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/flas ... ASF116.zip
More than 100,000 BIOS strings in my database just now!
http:/ /www.kuriaki.has.it/
http:/ /www.supportbios.info
------------------------------------------
Saludos desde Cancun, Mexico
KURIAKI
statement
New visitors - please read the rules.

Thanks. I don't suppose you know if there's a way to force AWFLASH to update without matching the bios string?
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

If you are sure you have a BIOS image match for your exact board and model I would migrate to Uniflash.

But be sure to watch the flash process carefully and make a backup first. If the flash or verify gives errors then DO NOT REBOOT and flash the backup and then reboot. Then you have to figure out what the problem is and make another attempt using the same approach and procedure just described.