Acer Veriton 1000 Bad BIOS flash

Hot-swapping and Boot-Block flash & Boot block flash and floppy support
mhamzahkhan
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hello everyone,

I was trying to update the BIOS of two of my Acer Veriton 1000 machines.

I screwed up both machines somehow and now both machine won't boot. :(

Hitting the power makes the machine go into a cycle where it spins up the fan, then spins back down, as if it is continuously rebooting.

I figured this is probably because the BIOS is flashed incorrectly, so I wanted to try and re-flash the BIOS.
By examining the board, I noticed that the BIOS chip is surface soldered, but there is a header called SPI2 header so I was hoping I could use that to re-flash the BIOS.

There are two problems that I have.
1) The BIOS ZIP file I downloaded from the Acer website has multiple files, so I am not sure which one will need to flash onto the chip: R01-D1.GBE, R01-D1.ME, R01-D1.RPA, R01-D1.RPO. I think its probably either the the RPO (2MB) file or the RPA file (1MB).
2) I am not certain about the pin configuration of the SPI2 header the board, but there are 7 pins so I assume it should be the same as described here: http://mondotech.blogspot.com/2009/05/a ... flash.html

Should this work or is there a better way to recover the machine?

Any help would be appreciated :)
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

I'd check first if the SPI header as such is standardized somewhere, if it is, good chance the pinout is the same and you can use it as such.

question, how did you manage to flash both of them into oblivion in the first place?
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...