ami 51-0830-001437-00111111-071595-ut801x-utron-f

Hot-swapping and Boot-Block flash & Boot block flash and floppy support
nicolae788
Chip off the ol' block

Hello everybody!
first of all the bios id string(ami)51-0830-001437-00111111-071595-ut801x-utron-f
Chip number:MX 27C1000PC-70
MB28822
B9612 VPP=12.5V and on the back
MB28822
I found out that this is a M558 MB made by hsing tech which now it's or was under PCCHIPS and has a VXPRO-2 chipset
Anyway i downloaded the manual and the file for the updated bios and made a boot disk and start the procedure.I looked down on jumper 8 near the BIOS socket and saw that there was no jumper on pins 1-2 as it should been normal.Before this the uniflash (latest version uf137) kept asking me if the chip it's write protected because it can't find some datas.O.K and then i looked and saw that there was no jumper on the JP8 and decided to put a jumper on the 1-2 pins as the manual says.Well instead of puting on the 1-2 pins (12V) i put it on 2-3 pins(5V) and cleared the CMOS.The boot lock entered it's rights and was searching for the rom file on the disk A. I saved the image of the bios at the begining of the process as i was expecting something like this.Insert the disk and the bios start reading from the disk.So far so good but next i heard 7 beeps which means that the chip can't be writen.Shit,excuse me but i did it this time.
My question how do i write back this chip?
I have another chip but that one was used with an award BIOS,can it be writen with ami software?
Chip NO. MXJ9731
28F1000PPC-12C4
M11757
Please help any sugestions are welcome.Tomorow i will go to see some guys who have a burner and maybe i will manage to do something but i would like to hear some suggestions and if it's possible to get out of this without the use of the burner.
Thank you very much
Alex.
nicolae788
Chip off the ol' block

i almost forgot
is there a patch for this bios or an upgrade to make it see a HD of 20 GB.Before it died i was only using 8GB of my 20GB HD
Thank you very much
Alex.
ruelnov
Master Flasher

Your flash rom chip's data as below shows that it's only an EPROM, not EEPROM. You couldn't write to it via flash because it's not "Electrically Erasable".

Partname: MX27C1000PC-70
Description: Access time: 70; 1-Mbit (128K x 8) CMOS EPROM
Manufacturer:
Package: DIP
Pins: 32
Oper. temp.: 0 to 70

Regarding your other chip, I couldn't find its datasheet for now. But if you can confirm that its also 1-Mbit and EEPROM and has the same pinout and voltage supply rating as your original chip, you can use it as replacement.

It's not a problem writing your AMI BIOS into that 2nd chip of yours if it meets above requirements.
nicolae788
Chip off the ol' block

Hi
thank you for the reply.But how do i write it on the other chip.It is the same chip the same pinout but another serial number as i post it.I found that serial number in the bios faq page on the wims bios home page.
The problem is that this other chip was an award bios so it has award boot block which searches on the floppy for an autoexec.bat file with the command in it for loading the award flash utility and write down the new bin file.
My question it's how can i write an ami bios on a former award chip?supposing that the chip it's an eeprom!!!!!!!!!
I tried using in the autoexec file the amibios flash utility but no chance.i think i will try it with the uniflash utility and see what happens.Also my isa video adapter that i have from an old computer it doesn't work anymore it only shows a Z letter on a green backround(the background it's the same size as the Z letter) in the upper left corner of the screen and therefore i cannot see anything.
Thank you.I will wait for some more suggestions>Thank you again
Alex.
ruelnov
Master Flasher

It's a good thing if you can boot from that 2nd chip via bootblock. It doesn't matter if that's award bios, you can flash it with your AMI BIOS at the command prompt, but be sure to overwrite bootblock as well. Use the corresponding command switch for AMI Flash Utility for you to overwrite bootblock. It's /wb for award bios, but I'm not familiar with the one for AMI.

If you have PCI VGA Card, then you may be able to see video when award bootblock executes.
nicolae788
Chip off the ol' block

O.K> i will try this also but my display it's blank and my isa video card which woould permit me to see what's behind that blank screen doesn't work for now i told you everything that it displys it's a Z letter.So i am only guiding by the beeps.
And i am not ablre to boot from the floppy i told you that the award boot block from the other chip searches on the floppy an autoexec file which executes the flash program so that it can restore the bios.Under no circumstances it boots in dos or any command prompt.
If you can tell me for sure that the second chip it's an eeprom i woul really apreciate it
thank you very much for the info
Alex.
ruelnov
Master Flasher

Regarding your other chip, this is what I've got so far. This info is from the FAQ section of a mainboard manufacturer with link as below:

http://www.directron.com/faqmotherboard.html

31. I got an "Unknown Flash Type" message on my screen.
You have used the incorrect EEPROM. Please use MX type no.28F1000PPC-12C4 or Winbond type no.W29EE011-15 EEPROM.

So it's an EEPROM.

Regarding how to boot from your floppy using that other chip of yours, please read dos-freak's post dated March 22, 2004 under "My Motherboard is Dead" entitled "Boot Block BIOS Flash Doesn't Work".
nicolae788
Chip off the ol' block

O.K
so i was right the other chip which is exactly the ser. no. described by you here it really is an eeprom,so i should be able to flash it.
But no it doesn't want to flash.
I tried with the autoexec file were i wrote the command for the ami flash program.I used all the switches required for flashing the chip without user interference i used the correct rom file but no luck.
I also tryed with an award flash utility and an award bios file (bin file) but same result nothing.
The jumper it's set to 12 volt ,anything else i do not know what to do.Tomorow i will go and buy some MB's like mine from an auction here(real cheap) and try a hot flash!!!!!!!This should work
About the dos freak post yes i read it and i downloaded the file but no luck it doesn't boot or do enything else i think it just hangs up somewhere in the process.
The main thing it's that ia m sure that i have a eeprom chip so i can do it somehow and all this because of you .Thank you very much.
I 'll see tomorow what i can do with the hot flash
If you have any ideas or maybe you think that i misplaced something please share it with me.Maybe the jumper it's not set up corectly but hey when i change it from 12 V to 5V i erased the original chip which it's not even flashable except for the burn tool.
It's very late now and i am very tired ,i am going to sleep and see tomorow about the hot flash.Again if you have any ideas or suggestions please post it.
Thank you very very much
Alex.