Asus A8N32-SLI dead after PSU swap

Hot-swapping and Boot-Block flash & Boot block flash and floppy support
locololo
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hi there,

I had a well running Asus A8N32-SLI deluxe board attached on a
Dell Server PSU with 435 Watt, this PSU was too big to fit in any of my cases, so i wanted to try an older Enermax PSU with 20pin ATX conntector and 20-24pin ATX adapter, which i normally use with my Tyan Thunder Board. I was so stupdi to forget about checkuing the pinouts of the adapter and plugged everything together, switched to on but nothing happened, not even the green LED on the board was lit. Okay tried no longer with the adapter because no Lite on the Board indicates no way to fire up for me...
and swapped directly back to the DELL PSU, now the green LED turns on but powering on is not possible, no fan turns, not even the one from the PSU,
harddrives attached to PSU also won´t spin up. I´m wondering wether I shorted the board with the uncommon 20->24 and 4->8 ATX Adapter or what else the problem might be....

Resetting BIOS, changing CPU, changing Videocard where my next tests but as long as no fan turns i guess i have first to get the power to the board somehow, and the pw-switch is not working.

Has anybody had a similar problem or is anyone able to help

thx in advance
:wink:
locololo

Hi again out there !

I tried some more things now, this means I hardwired the PSU on the power connector, so that i get some juice on the board. The HSF is then spinnig also the NB and SB fans are tunring, but there is no POST or a beepcode
coming out of the mobo. What else can I do, or should i better put the board into the trashcan ??

Would a hotflashed BIOS get the computer back to work ??

Any answers and suggestions are appreciated
THX
cp
BIOS Guru

did you download the manual from ASUS already? you'll find pictures in there which help you putting everything in the right place.
If you email me include [WIMSBIOS] in the subject.
locololo

thx cp for your answer, and greetings from your own country !

of course i downloaded the pdf´s for the board and wired it correctly, it´s about twenty years ago, that i started to build my own computers and I´m not such a greenhorn, that i don´t know where to put the cables...

But in my case even the pw/switch pins were on strike, so that I shorted the green cable with a paper clip to a black cable on the PSU-connector, to get any voltage to the motherboard (thats my understanging of hardwiring).

I tried different barebone configs and also putting the board outside a case on an antistatic surface, but nothing. And of course i reset the CMOS more than 20 times and not only for a few seconds...
But theres no way to get a POST-screen or beepcodes, my conclusion is that something must have burned out on the board, and I´ll put it in the gutter.

thx again Lolo
cp
BIOS Guru

But in my case even the pw/switch pins were on strike, so that I shorted the green cable with a paper clip to a black cable on the PSU-connector, to get any voltage to the motherboard (thats my understanging of hardwiring).
shorting the poweron line of the power supply doesn't really help. pwon will be pulled by the multi I/O chip (or southbridge with integrated multi I/O) when you push the power button. if the power button doesn't work there's something wrong...terribly wrong to be precise. remove all cables except those from the power supply (you have to connect three: 20pin atx, 4 pin +12v vcore and the 5,25" onboard thing). just put in cpu, ram and a vga. make sure they are all seated correctly. if the mainboard is already mounted in a case make sure there are no shorts. make sure the power switch shorts the correct pins. always double check your work!
If you email me include [WIMSBIOS] in the subject.
locololo

thy again fpr your help cp !

I did all of your mentioned actions already before but nothing helped.
So my last attempt was the trick with the hardwiring, which also didn´t work out. My conclusion now was the southbridge is damaged and that theres no way out, so I decided to put the board in the gutter - sigh ;-(