Asus K8V dead as..

Hot-swapping and Boot-Block flash & Boot block flash and floppy support
Redmond
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hi,

I went to update my K8V BIOS via the alt f2 method.. found the file.. started erasing the BIOS then... flash aborted!

Of course now it's dead.. starts.. no beeps, HD and DVD fire up.. but no floppy. Read about the boot block method for AMI on this forum but floppy is dead.. I've reset cmos, taken the battery out..

I guess the answer is take it to the retailer to get it fixed, but wondering why the boot block didn't work for me.

Board is only a week old.. never had a failure on my Abit boards!!!
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

Maybe the boot block was trashed during the update. In the "good old days" you could have swapped the BIOS chip....
Tested patched BIOSes. Untested patched BIOSes.
Emails *will* be ignored unless the subject line starts "Wim's BIOS forum"
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

The flash could have aborted if there were problems reading the floppy disk. If this happens during a flash, the best thing to do is probably to re-attempt the flash before powering off or rebooting, if the software lets you, even if that means downloading the BIN file onto a fresh floppy disk and then trying to flash off the new disk, and hoping the power does not go off in the menatime.

Unfortunately the system is unusable once you reboot in your type of scenario. But the best chance you have to avoid that is while the system is still in the flash program, when you may or may not have some control over the system. If there is control that is to be taken advnatage of to see if there is a path to recovery.

Of-course maybe also there was a minor power glitch during the flash process just long enough to interrupt the flash process.
bef
New visitors - please read the rules.

hi
i have the same problem with an asus k8v se deluxe mainboard.
i hear a spoken error message but it`s impossible to undersand.(the good old beeps were better)
the screen stays black.

i`ve posted in an other forum.
here the link, in case you understand german ;-)
http://www.nickles.de/thread_cache/537696610.html
these many answers did`t solve my problem.
last wednesday, i`ve written an e-mail to asus. but i haven`t got an answer yet.
i fear i need a new bios chip.
they claim that one can restore it with the support cd.( i wasn`t able to)

i`ve already tryed:

cmos reset
boot from floppy(my floppy is dead too, but i haven`t noticed it when i did it)
restore with support cd (http://www.asus.com/products/mb/crashfreebios2.htm )
faq 99 (http://www.asuscom.de/support/FAQ/faq09 ... Screen.htm --> sorry i haven`t found it in english)
zapbuzz
BIOS Rookie

ive found using with pci only mobosa pci floppy controller and graphics helps to boot in that scenario but i dont know if its pci or isa if there's isa slots avail also.
Built in graphics WONT work; PCI or ISA
Such huge landfill new tech costs when all we need is scaleability.