Asus P4P800 Deluxe MB Dead

Hot-swapping and Boot-Block flash & Boot block flash and floppy support
Carl2
New visitors - please read the rules.

I originaly started with a Gigabyte MB for an Intel P4, after about a year or so it suddenly died. No beeps or video. It was sent back to gigabyte, I replaced the board with an Asus MB and after replacing the CPU it worked. I reciently added some software and replaced the video card on the Asus MB and noticed that the Asus startup screen didn't look right, after startup the display was okay. Everything seemed to work okay but the startup screen bothered me so I went to the Asus website and downloaded the latest Bios for the motherboard. The flash didn't work so I used the one on the MB disk, the flash worked. When I restarted the computer the MB said I was overclocking so after turning off the computer I removed the battery and changed the jumper. A restart gave me nothing. I'm using the computer with another Asus replacement MB and CPU, now the startup screen is okay.
The Gigabyte board was returned with no problem and worked for a few days then stopped working again.
At this time I have 2 dead MB's and 2 bad CPU's, I'm thinking of buying from HP rather than building again. Any suggestions as to what I'm doing wrong?
Carl2
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

Are you observing electrostatic safe handling precautions? Damage from static electricity can result in slow degradation and failure.
Tested patched BIOSes. Untested patched BIOSes.
Emails *will* be ignored unless the subject line starts "Wim's BIOS forum"
cp
BIOS Guru

Could be a faulty power supply, too.
Carl2
New visitors - please read the rules.

I don't wear a wrist strap but do try to be considerate of electrostatic charges, since in both cases the MB's were up and running for a period of time I don't think the cause is electrostatic discharge. One morning the Gigabyte board just stopped, no audio or video. After fairly complete testing it was sent back to Gigabyte. I bought an MB in the meantime and found the CPU was dead so I replaced that also and the Asus MB and new CPU worked. Before sending the Gigabyte board back the CPU was tested as well as the video card, everything out of the case sperad out on a work bench.
I tried to use the returned Gigabyte board (with no problems ) in another computer I built and it worked for a short time then displayed the no video or audio, the CPU tested good so I replaced the MB and the computer worked.
The Asus MB ended up in a similar condition after adding some software and changing the video card, the original problem was the bad dispay of the startup screen, windows screen was okay. Flashing using the MB CD seemed to work. Frist startup gave an overclocking audio which must have burned out the CPU. The replacement MB gave me a video display saying the CPU was being overclocked and to press F2 to load default settings. I'd noticed the default settings turn off the thermal shutdown.
Carl2