Asus Pundit Bios Upgrade went wrong

Hot-swapping and Boot-Block flash & Boot block flash and floppy support
Phil H
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hi,

I have an Asus Pundit "Barebones" PC. It has a motherboard called a P4S8L (I think HT). I was trying to upgrade using the "intellegent" utility they have that looks at your bios then contacts Asus web site for thr latest appropriate then downloads and automatically flashes the bios. It all went OK until the last part when there was a message saying that it could not validate the load. I tried a couple more times but it still didn't work. On powering up the PC The PC I now find it will not boot and there's nothing on the monitor at all.
Being a barebones PC there's no floppy drive however it looks like the machine is trying to look to the cd rom drive? as it runs for about 30 secs then stops.
Any ideas on how I might fix? Is it likely the boot bock part of the bios will have gone?
I have the original cd with utilities, drivers old bios etc.
I can probably burn disks if requied from other machine I have.
Help!

Regards,

Phil.
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

Is it under warranty?
I'm afraid the knowledge that I have of Asus BIOS recovery is with diskettes. I guess you could try putting the recovery files on CD. IF you put a bootable CD in the drive does it seek?
Tested patched BIOSes. Untested patched BIOSes.
Emails *will* be ignored unless the subject line starts "Wim's BIOS forum"
Phil H

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

Symptoms seem to be that on power up there's no beeps and nothing on screen of monitor.

The CD Rom drive flickers a few times as if it'd looking for something and then stops, meanwhile the HDD light comes up solidly for about 20 seconds then goes out. After that nothing....

I tried the Asus setup disk that came with the PC to see if it would boot to that but no luck. Also tried to make a bootable CD but not sure if I did it right (I'm not sure I know what files should be there, all the documentation with the machine refers to flashing the bios from a floppy disk and there isn't even a floppy connector on this Motherboard) I made a bootable floppy disk and copied it to a cd, that didn't seem to work either. As the monitor shows nothing it may be working and I can't see it?

I also cleared the CMOS (removed battery and shorted the pins) - that didn't help either!

Any thoughts gladly received.

Phil.
atang1
BIOS Newbie

If you have another computer to burn a cdr to boot and flash the bios rom(4 mb flash not eeprom) with the original bios, you maybe able to recover. Remeber, the flash bios rom has to be warmed up first, so that the transistors are at the correct speed. Otherwise there will be errors.

The cdr has to be burned with magiciso, so it will boot the .iso file with a minimum msdos with vga drivers. then add the flash program and the old bios codes in a file to be read by the flash program.

Good luck.
Phil H

Hi and thanks for your post,

I do have the ability to burn a cd on another pc, sorry but I'm not so knowledgable on this stuff so I need a bit more help as I'm not familiar with magiciso etc.

Any chance you could give me a step-by-step description of what I should do?

Phil
KachiWachi
The New Guy

See "Bart's way to create bootable CD-Roms (for Windows/Dos)".

-> http://www.nu2.nu/bootcd/