Asus TUSI-M Hung While Flashing

Hot-swapping and Boot-Block flash & Boot block flash and floppy support
Adz_79
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hey All,

Another dead motherboard problem. Read thru all the posts in this forum and cannot find a solution. Have Read FAQ and Collected wisdom, still no solution. Have an ASUS TUSI-M motherboard. Recently, virus corrupted the bios, so I tried flashing the bios with an updated one from the asus website. Originally had the Rev 1014TMN bios, and was updating to a 1017TMN bios. Everything was going well, until half way thru the programming, the system hung. Well, tried to exit the flash program, to no avail. Created the floppy for the boot block, but nothing happens when I reboot the system. Was going to try the Hot swap method, but once again, ran into the problem, that the bios chip is soldered to the motherboard. Is there a way to activate the boot block like ami's ctrl-home for the award bios? Have checked the site repeatedly and nothing is said. What other solutions are there? Or do I have to buy another board? Any help would be greatly appreciated and I hope I get a reply soon.

Thanx in advance

Adz_79
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

an emergency boot block emulated bios is in the making if I've read the other thread right...
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

Is it trying to read the floppy on boot ?
Adz_79

Not at all. The motherboard doesn't even have isa slots to try a multi i/o card
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

So I see.
Image here
Well, it's time for a new board or to take that one to a place you trust to remove and flash the chip (installing a socket while they are about it), which may/may not be economically viable.
If you're a bit of an electronics wiz, I suppose it might be possible to cut the Chip Enable leg, connect it through a switch and find a way of piggy-backing another pre-programmed chip to allow in-location hot-flashing...
Adz_79

Thought as much. Oh well, not many places here in Australia that do that. Looks like a new board :) Oh well, thanx for all your help