Bad Flash? - Soyo SY-6BB v1.0 440bx baby at

Hot-swapping and Boot-Block flash & Boot block flash and floppy support
idiotek
New visitors - please read the rules.

I'll provide a bit of background on this issue first, I would be very greatful for some advice.

My Soyo SY-BB system is running as my server (XP pro/sp1, using Internet Connection Sharing). I recently installed Zonealarm Pro on it, and my client pc's. Whenever I would access an ftp site on a client pc, I would get a BSOD on the server (with message irql_not_less_equal). I tried rebuilding/swapping hardware to no avail. I then flashed the bios with the most current update on Soyo's website: http://soyousa.com/downloads/selectresu ... OS+Upgrade

Now, the board is acting strange. The mouse will stop working every once and awhile, one or both of the pci network cards will 'disappear', and sometimes it just refuses to post.

I backed up my original BIOS before I flashed with awdflash, but when I try to reflash the original bios, I get a file size mismatch error, and it will not flash. I think I must have flashed the wrong BIOS. Something I did notice was that the BIOS I flashed was ~130k, the backup flash is ~340k. Does anyone have any advice on what I should do? Is there a way that I can override awdflash and force the old bios onto the system?

thanks,
Terry

---Regarding the BSOD-ftp error...I tracked this down to Zonealarm Pro...I don't get the ftp-errors when its uninstalled from all the pc's.
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

That 340K doesn't sound right at all; it should be 128K (131072). The 1a6 BIOS ("for BB V1.0 ONLY, not early BB") and the BB-1A7 for BB are 128 Kbytes so I wouldn't flash what you've got saved.
Tested patched BIOSes. Untested patched BIOSes.
Emails *will* be ignored unless the subject line starts "Wim's BIOS forum"
idiotek
New visitors - please read the rules.

I think I'll try reflashing the newer BIOS (the v 1.0 bios that i originally tried). Would you recommend using an older awdflash (since this is an older board) or possibly uniflash?

thanks.
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

I know there is a version of AWD flasher around 7.something which is a bit dodgy, but the 8.xx are supposed to be better - or indeed Uniflash. If you look at the Uniflash site it mentions a particular version of AWD flasher for one of the situations which Uniflash can't handle.
Tested patched BIOSes. Untested patched BIOSes.
Emails *will* be ignored unless the subject line starts "Wim's BIOS forum"