BIOS Freezes/Monitor Dies?

Hot-swapping and Boot-Block flash & Boot block flash and floppy support
MarkHorwood
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hello there
Firstly i have browsed on this site & found similar issues, however my problem differs from

the others slightly, so i thought i would start a new thread - apologies if we are covering

old ground

I am running a Duron 1.8Ghz chip on ASUS K7SOM+ motherboard (onboard graphics & sound)

When i first booted up i got the 'CMOS IS WRONG' error, so i changed the battery & after

some tweaking this error message stopped appearing (had to restart unsuccesfully a few times

before the message stopped appearing on reboot)

The problem i have now is that PC goes through bios check ok, i can enter BIOS or leave bios check to run & halt when it can't find a Hard Drive, but after a few minutes the monitor dies as though the PC had powered down, but the PC is still on!!!! (This happens in BIOS screen or sitting idle after BIOS check)

I have also noticed that if i leave the pc running, after a further few minutes the pc will switch off (doesn't seem to be consistent though, whilst typing this it has been running for over 10 minutes now?)

Interestingly i also noticed that once the monitor dies i am unable to restart the pc with the reset/restart buttons on the case, which work during bootup process

I have edited the BIOS setting to run the CPU & RAM speed at differant settings (100/100 - 100/133 - 133/133) but this hasn't helped
I've also switched the RAM to a stick i know is working (double checked with two working sticks)
I have also stripped all components to a minimum to stop other conflicts (so no IDE peripherals, PCI/AGP cards, USB devices etc..)

Just before posting this i checked using another monitor, just in case this was the problem - now seems the Bios check is hanging!?!?!?!
(originally checked RAM ok then hung at next stage so i restarted & now hangs checking RAM)
Is the board ready for the bin?

Hope somebody can help me, many thanks in advance
Mark
ajzchips
El cheapo dude

More like an ECS board, not ASUS. Anyway, tried a different PSU?
MarkHorwood

Your quite right!!!! Sorry for the mistake, board is ECS
I'm just going to try changinmg the Power Supply over
Thanks
Mark
MarkHorwood

Hi again
Changing the PSU didn't fix anything
Weirdly i can't get a signal to the monitor now!?!?!?!
Looks like this board is dead?

Mark
ruelnov
Master Flasher

That's a board problem.

Check for blown or bulging capacitors around the processor area. If any, have them replaced by a qualified motherboard repairman.

This hanging up problem plus being unable to restart via RESET button is typical of malfunctioning onboard voltage regulator module (VRM) which supplies power to the processor.

I'm very familiar with this problem because I'm repairing dead motherboards day & night.