BIOS ROM checksum error

Hot-swapping and Boot-Block flash & Boot block flash and floppy support
Witek
New visitors - please read the rules.

I'm getting this error when I start my pc.
Sometimes the computer shows nothing, sometimes it shows this:

BIOS ROM Checkcum error

Detecting Drive A media....
Drive A error system halt.

or

BIOS ROM Checkcum error

Detecting Drive A media....
INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER'

Gives me one of those two errors

I'm not too sure what exactly is wrong with it and am not too sure how to flash a BIOS.
I tried removing all of my ram, PCI cards, graphics card, floppy drive, hard drives, and cd rom drives with no success of anything changing.
I have read a few things that it could be from my power supply, it is making a very high pitched noise when there is power running to the computer (somewhat like the noise you hear when there is a TV on in the room). Not sure if that relates to this, but it could be something.
There are no pooped capacitors on the motherboard and there is no evidence of damage, but that is just a visual inspection and some chips could be fried.

Please help.
Witek

After pulling apart my power supply, I found out that indeed I had a blown capacitor in the bastard.
So I do need to replace that. As opposed to the problem itself, I still don't know if it could be related to the power supply giving the wrong current or something. But any help on the matter would still be greatly appreciated.
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

Normally when you get a checksum error you need to enter into the BIOS setup and load the defaults, and then do any customisation.

I don't know whether or not the power supply could have had an influence on this problem, but it is probably worth checking the board out thoroughly in case the damage in the power supply caused a fault in the board.
Witek

I can't enter BIOS, it gives me one of those two errors then the system halts.

Any advice at all?
I'm getting that power supply soon, just need to dig up some cash for one then I'll go out and get one.
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

Looking again at the messages you reported that occur, it looks like the BIOS might be in bootblock mode.

I do not have lots of experience in bootblock, but if you browse other threads you should be able to find out how to reflash the BIOS correctly, or others may be able to offer advise here.