BootBlock Recovery

Hot-swapping and Boot-Block flash & Boot block flash and floppy support
c
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hello

Background problem:
http://www.wimsbios.com/phpBB2/viewtopi ... ea860dfa95

I am using the ISA VGA and Multi I/O card to connect to floppy drive.

The message at boot up is:

Award BootBlock BIOS v1.0
Copyright (c) 1996, Award Software, Inc.

BIOS ROM checksum error

Detecting floppy drive A media...
INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER

I kept pressing enter, but it wouldn't boot on my boot floppy created with the batch file.

Initially it was different message.

Detecting floppy drive A media...
Drive A error. System halt

But I realised that I did not connect pin1 of FDD correctly. It was okay then, but stop short at System Disk call. It wouldn't boot from the floppy.

The light on the floppy drive is always on. Even when I press reset, it stays on. But it wouldn't go back to the screen anymore. It goes back to continuous beeps with pause between.

Please advise.

C
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

If the floppy drive light is always on this ussually means you have the cable the wrong way around on either the main board or floppy drive connector. I have even seen floppy drives (or at least one) where pin 1 is marked at the incorrect end of the connector. Also check that there are not any bent pins which are therefore not connecting.

If the BIOS tests the floppy drive on bootup but does not boot to floppy disks which boot fine in other machines, the problem could be if you have a floppy drive mould in the case which the floppy drive sits behind. Sometimes the drive can be too close to the mould, causing the button to always be contacting the drive and slightly ejecting the disk, meaning it is not seated correctly in the drive for access.