Dead MS 6334 Motherboard after failed BIOS flash

Hot-swapping and Boot-Block flash & Boot block flash and floppy support
mashby
New visitors - please read the rules.

I reflash my MSI MS 6334 Ver 1 mobo board with the wrong BIOS and now completely dead, no floppy, CD rom, beep, graphics, nothing.

I tried the MSI web which had file w6334v13.exe but this was for an AWARD BIOS. I tried it but it won't run as it recognised that the PC has an AMI bios. However as I could not find an AMI bios for this mobo I used the file 6326v15.exe which has killed everything.

I bought a new BIOS chip asking for an AMI BIOS but got an AWARD v1.3 whih still does not work. The only difference is that with the new chip the PC will power down with the power switch, as with the wrong AMI BIOS it would only power up & nothing else.

I have cleared CMOS, removed battery etc. Any ideas.

I cannot believe that flashing the 6326v15.exe file has damaged the mobo. (THis file is clearly for a MS 6326 mobo which is also fitted with a Intel 815 chipset like my mobo.
Denniss
BIOS Guru

Looks like your board is/was an OEM-Version for a big computer supplier like HP/Medion/FSC with a specialized Bios .
A MSI Retail bios might work or not depending on possible hardware differences .

A Mainboard Bios is specially designed for each board - a Bios for a board with the same chipset but different layout will not work in 90% of all cases

Ask your computer supplier for a new Bios file
mashby

Thanks,

Tha PC is Tiny who don't have any support at all.

As the mobo can take either AWARD & AMI bios and has on board graphics, sound etc how would Tiny set up any unique configuration except the BIOS. i.e all other MS6344 running wiith AWARD bios wouldn't have differenent on board graphics would they?

I am waiting for amother AMI chip so see what happens.

I just don't why the new AWARD chip from BIOS RECOVERY doesn't work?
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

If your PC at least attempts to boot from the floppy - you just have to watch the LED after you power on the system when the floppy is powered and data connected - you can locate the correct BIOS and attempt to use an automated boot disk to flash the BIOS.

However, with no beeps, the system is probably not looking at the floppy. Check anyway.

When you can ID a mainboard you have to match this information to the correct BIOS on the manufacturer's website. Things that help match a board correctly are the manufacturer, model name and PCB revision. If you have trouble finding all of that information the chipset, CPU socket or slot type, board layout (photo on man. website helps if you can find one), number of PCI slots, ISA slots, RAM slots and type, presence of AGP slot, and presence on on-board sound, USB, etc. will help to track it down and it is a good idea to match up this info anyway to be sure you have found the correct board on the manufacturer's website.

The BIOS you end up finding on the website will be the only one suitable for you board (unless the manufacturer has provided a few different version BIOSs for the exact same board). It will only be one type, eg: AWARD OR AMI OR PHOENIX, etc. Flashing for example an AMI BIOS from a different model board to your own board for which an AWARD BIOS is provided is a good way to mess up a Flash BIOS chip and attempting to change from one type of BIOS to another is in my opinion generally not worthwhile and not a good idea in the first place. You would have to find a BIOS of the desired type that is designed for your board which probably means that someone would have to rewrite it as it probably only exists in the type that the manufacturer provides for your board.

I generally prefer AWARD to AMI BIOS.
Denniss
BIOS Guru

AFAIK Tiny Computer support is done by www.timesupport.com .
You might want to mail them asking for a Bios file for your board/computer (computer system number might be needed)
mashby

Thank for your replies.

I am already spent many housr searching the MSI site & others to find an AMI BIOS for this mobo. The only one I could findwas award which I tried but it recognised that AMI was installed and stoped. The PC was OK after this. It failed after the AMI BIOS upgrade with the wrong file.

Tiny support do not have any drivers for this PC, & there is my problem. The AMI BIOS is creacted by Tiny. So what can I do.
A new AWARD chip did not work.

This mobo should be able to run on AMI & AWARD which is confirmed it the manual.

I really am stuck?

PS I do not get any attempt to read the floppy.
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

From where did you get the new Award BIOS chip? It looks as though it may not be correct. If it is still in the board, check that you didn't bend any pins when inserting it and that you did not insert it the wrong way round (do not laugh, I have done this). Do you have another board in which you can try the hotflash technique, or can you get your old chip programmed locally?

It looks as though other people have been able to flash the MSI Award BIOS into a Tiny board - see this archived post. The original poster is confused in his first post but later on he says he flashed the Award updated BIOS into the board using the AMI flash utility, which implies that the BIOS originally in the board was AMI. This is what I would expect for Tiny. Tiny was taken over by Time. Time now trades as The Computer Shop in the UK (www.thecomputershop.co.uk)
Tested patched BIOSes. Untested patched BIOSes.
Emails *will* be ignored unless the subject line starts "Wim's BIOS forum"
mashby

Thanks for feedback.
I got the new chip from BIOS RECOVERY in Italy. I think they have flashed it with AWARD v1.3 which should be OK. They wdo not respond to my E mails now.

I do have access to a DATAMAN but as have not got the original AMI file I can't flash anything.

I am still waiting for a AMI chip which comes from a MS 6334 Ver 1 mobo (possibly Tiny) so I hope that works.

It does I plan to try & reflash the original chip with the AMI chip as back up.

How do I back up the BIOS onto a floppy?

PS: No pins are bent on board or chip. Already checked that & is inserted correctly)
mashby

I have just tried an Original TINY AMI BIOS and all OK again.

Leason learnt. Any MS 6334 Vr 1mobo fitted to a Tiny PC uses a unique Tiny AMI BIOS not available on the web.

I have tried to copy this for back up using Aflash but this program does not run.

Any advice?
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

Try Uniflash. :)
Tested patched BIOSes. Untested patched BIOSes.
Emails *will* be ignored unless the subject line starts "Wim's BIOS forum"
pwochung

Hi Mashby,

How did you get the original Tiny BIOS? I had the same case with you except my M/B is MS-6178.