Dead 8S648FX-RZ Motherboard After Flash

Hot-swapping and Boot-Block flash & Boot block flash and floppy support
BigTechGuy
New visitors - please read the rules.

I think this might be a lost cause but I'll give it a go anyway.

My Gigabyte 8S648FX-RZ had an older BIOS of F4 and I decided to flash it to the newest F8. Followed the standard procedure in botting from floppy, flashing BIOS, etc. and rebooted the machine when done. No POST. The processor, fans, and harddrive all start up but no video and no POST screen. I assumed a dead BIOS but I'm at a loss to what happened. I've been working with computers sice the old 80286 days and I've NEVER had a problem with flashing a BIOS.

This board has a BIOS chip that is soldered on and nothing is working to be able to get an older BIOS version flashed. I've tried shorting the BIOS reset pins, disconnected all power cables, removing the BIOS battery and waiting for 20 minutes. No luck.

My question is what to do. Can anything be done? Does Gigabyte offer replacement BIOS chips if you ask really, really, nicely??

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

welcome to wimsbios. Step one is indeed contacting Gigabyte tech support and stating what has happened, you used their utility and their bios file etc etc. If all is said and done they might send you a replacement for free.

Let us know how things work out.
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
BigTechGuy
New visitors - please read the rules.

Ouch!

Long story short...the board is cactus.

After a time tryign to track down the importer the final result was that if you flash the BIOS yourself it is not covered under warrenty. They consider it a "flash at your own risk".

Good thing that I picked it up for nothing otherwise I would have been even more upset.

Live and learn I guess.

Anyone wanna buy a 2.8 Ghz P4 and FX5200 cheap?? <snicker>
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

I would but the postage would make that laughable. I'm located at the other end of the world.
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...