Dead Acer E560

Hot-swapping and Boot-Block flash & Boot block flash and floppy support
Henning
New visitors - please read the rules.

Having problems with getting pcie gfx cards working, flashed the motherboard with update from Acer.
That did not solve the problem, so found out the motherboard is an MCS I downloaded an MCS BIOS and flashed it.
Now the motherboard is dead.

Have tried resetting CMOS - no luck.
The board does not have floppy connector, so next option is to buy another motherboard. had actually decided to do that since obviously something is wrong with the board since it cannot handle the pcie graphics card and i do not want to wait for months for it to be repaired...(Bought the computer brand new less than a week ago).

But my question is:
Where can I find hardware to do the BIOS flash?
Suppose there is some smartcard solution via serial port out there..?

Kind regards
Henning, Denmark.

Oh by the way - this is the first - the last and the only Acer I will ever buy ;-)
Henning

Having the house full of computer parts - just came to think: can I take out the BIOS, put in another board and make a floppy re-flash ?

Kind regards
Henning, Denmark.
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

Ofcourse you can if the other board supports that flash chip. This technique is called hotflashing. I think there's a sticky post about that in the forums or on the website.
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
Henning

Tried it without luck - the other board remains dead with that bios inserted.

So I have now bought another board and intend to try and have the bios reflashed here in Denmark - he charges approx 10 $US for the job.

My new board is ASUS P5VD2-MX, which was the best I could find in the local shop.

If anyone have an idea of the best BIOS for this board, which does not recognise the onboard gfx, when a pcie card is inserted (now my problem is actually the opposite of before...) please come forward :-)

Intend to flash this one with newest from ASUS to see if that solves the issue.

Kind regards
Henning, Denmark.