Dead BIOS - Acer S82MA Motherboard/Winbond W49V002FAP Chip

Hot-swapping and Boot-Block flash & Boot block flash and floppy support
alyoung
New visitors - please read the rules.

OK, I was informed by a 'reliable' source that the S82MA was the same as an AOpen MX4B, so I flashed the BIOS of the MX4B onto the S82MA. As you may have already guessed, this was not a good idea. Boot-block mode is not automatically started, so the checksum must be correct. I have no video, no hard drive activity and only the DVD drive's light flickers; and my computer lacks an internal speaker. Any ideas which pins I need to short on the Winbond W49V002FAP chip to force an error, and please explain how I would go about 'shorting' them?

I don't think it's an LPC chip, but I am new at this sort of thing (hence my lack of knowledge on how to short pins exactly). I have the datasheet, but frankly, I don't understand it. Anyone willing to help may need the datasheet, so here it is:

http://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datasheet- ... 02FAP.html

EDIT: I apologise, but I forgot to add: when I connect a PS/2 keyboard, none of the status lights flash or will turn on. The floppy light will not turn on either, but this may be because the BIOS isn't set up to boot from floppy in its normal non-BootBlock mode, could it not?

Thanks in advance.
pwochung
New visitors - please read the rules.

I did the same several years ago! Luckily, the machine was under warranty at that time. The vendor replace the motherboard for me. The machine is the one I'm using to type this message now.

Anyway, you may try forcing boot block to execute by shorting the 2 high address pins of the BIOS chip. I do not know what to do exactly. Try to search in this Forum.