Dead bios. File part number doesn't match system...

Hot-swapping and Boot-Block flash & Boot block flash and floppy support
Danzilla
New visitors - please read the rules.

Okay. My BIOS died after a seemingly normal flash attempt this weekend. Then I did a lot of searching and reading. I tried reflashing it a few times with the boot-block load option Each attempt seemed to be working, but after reading from the floppy for a while, the system would start beeping and continue for about 20 seconds before stoping. Finally, the boot-block load isn't working any more either.
Then I tried Hot Swap flashing with another board. The problem MB won't boot with the bios from the good board (yes, different chipsets, but I gave it a try). So I've been trying to flash the corrupted bios chip in the working MB. Awdflash of course tells me the file part number doesn't match my system. I even tried flashing the working bios chip with the other system's bios, but that won't work either. I've tried Uniflash.exe, Flash864, and older versions of Awdflash.exe. Uniflash and Flash864 don't recognize or can't access the bios (on either bios chip). The olded versions of Award (7.71, 7.63, 5.35a) don't recognize the flash.
I've checked both motherboards and the working BIOS menu, but can find no bios protection enabled.

I need a flash program that will work with my system and NOT tell me the file isn't the correct version. Help? Hasn't anybody hacked a recent AWDFLASH.EXE so that the version checking is disabled? The older AWDFLASH.EXE don't recognize my Flash type (v8.12 is oldest that does) and the newer WON'T continue if the part number doesn't match!

My dead MB is a SOYO SY-K7V Dragon Plus (VT8366-8233-6A6LVS29C-00 01/28/2003). The working MB I'm trying to flash on is a Soyo KT400 Dragon Lite (KT400-8235-6A6LYS29C-00 12/13/2002). The file I'm trying to flash is from Soyo, kvxa2ba7.bin. Both motherboards (obviously) use the SST 39SF020A 32pin PLCC chip.

Thanks,
Dan.
Denniss
BIOS Guru

If the latest version of Uniflash - 1.32 - does not work I usually use Aminf329 or 332 for a Hot-Swap Flash but you have to use the parameter /-R to prevent rebooting

With Awardflash use /py /sn - usually the Bios-ID check is skipped then
Danzilla

From my testing in the last couple of days, I see that the /py switch with basically give an automatic 'Yes' reply to the question 'Flash Y/N?' (paraphrased). On older versions of Awdflash (pre 8.0) that would be enough. On 8.0 and afterwards, if the part number doesn't match, the program just gives you a warning and quits, so the /py switch doesn't help.

Still hoping here guys. Anyone?

D.

PS. Would an AMI flasher work with award bios? Haven't tried that.
Denniss
BIOS Guru

Gigabyte uses a Universal flash program for AMI and Award - basically it's a modified Aminf3xx Flashprog from AMI
Danzilla

Well, the only thing I could find on Gigabyte's site was the FLASH864 (which I already tried) and FLASH871, which I'll just tried. Both programs tell me 'The flash part is not supported' followed by 'Make sure the flash is not protected'. I've looked everywhere I could think of, but can't find any indications of a bios protection jumper or bios setting on Soyo boards.

Where do you find that Aminf3xx version? Is that an older version or something?
KachiWachi
The New Guy

Amptron (www.amptron.com) has a good selection of AWARD and AMI flashers posted on their BIOS Update page, along with UniFlash :-).

Perhaps an associate can get them and post them on the Patched BIOS page...
Danzilla

Well, I haven't had any luck. Only the most recent flash programs seem to recognize the PLCC32 Flash on my KT400 MB and they won't flash because the bios ID doesn't match. Anyway, I ordered a replacement. I did want to point out an interesting option I found called bios-saver. It's a replacement bios chip that actually has an extra bios load available. It has a switch the fits in a PCI panel for selection between your regular bios and the RD-1

http://www.ioss.com.tw/web/English/RD1BIOSSavior.html

Just thought I'd mention it, if people hadn't seen it before.

D.
KachiWachi
The New Guy

Interesting little device...

You could do the same thing by just purchasing (finding, etc...) a second compatible BIOS chip for your machine and only flashing that, thus saving your original chip for later use.

Certainly an interesting idea though...BIOS at the flick of a switch :-)
I'm sure the inventor will make a few dollars... ;-)