Dead board - bad flash, can't recover

Hot-swapping and Boot-Block flash & Boot block flash and floppy support
mediafish
New visitors - please read the rules.

I tried updating the BIOS on my Intel D845PEBT2 board. Then I tried up change the logo using Intel's logo creation utility (makes a .USR file from a .BMP). After I did that, the system locked up. So, after a few minutes, I gave up and reset (nothing happened).

I followed Intel's instructions for using recovery mode (jumper change)with the BIOS upgrade disk. Everything went okay, got the 2 beeps, etc. as described.

After moving the jumper back to "normal" the system comes on, but won't boot. No floppy or video, nothing. Found one resource that suggests this is a symptom of a bad user data area or "ESCD block." But the BIOS recovery has had no effect.

Did I fry my motherboard? HELP!
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

If BIOS recovery doesn't work now i.e. it doesn't load from diskette, you need to get the BIOS ROM re-flashed. You may be able to do this using the "hot-flash"method described by Rainbow and
Uniflash if you're brave and have access to another PC with a similar shape and voltage of Flash BIOS ROM (or if the motherboard supports both 12V and 5V ROMs). Peeling the label, 29Xxxx means 5v and 28Xxxx means 12V.
sulbert
Master Flasher

According to the data sheet the board has a Intel 82802AB Firmware Hub. Hopefully it isn't soldered like on most of the Intel boards...
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

I keep forgetting those spawn-of-the-iDevil FWH things.
Coming soon:
"In the future, there will be no BIOS ROM. Code will be loaded from a hidden area of the hard disk."
Rainbow
The UniFlasher

Like the crap used by older Compaqs? Some code must always be in ROM. And what about booting from SCSI HDD connected to add-in controller?
Patched and tested BIOSes are at http://wims.rainbow-software.org
UniFlash - Flash anything anywhere
mediafish
New visitors - please read the rules.

Unfortunatly, the chip is soldered into the board. Intel Tech support said there's probably a problem with the chip. Sending me a new one...

Thanks for the help.