Dell Dimension rom file?

Hot-swapping and Boot-Block flash & Boot block flash and floppy support
NAH
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hi all,
I'm trying to repair a Dell Dimension 2200 that the BIOS was erased or corrupted. I can't even get the thing to boot, but I have a programer that I was going to use to reflash the chip, or flash a new chip if the old one is bad. The problem comes in that I don't have the actual file that needs to be written to the chip, and I can't seem to find it. Does anyone know where I can get it a hold of it, or how to extract it from the BIOS flashing utility that Dell has on their site? Thanks for any help.
NAH
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

Best option would be to call Dell since the service tag needs to be tattood in the bios as well. And the utility used for that is NOT available anywahere, I can guarantee that.
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
NAH
New visitors - please read the rules.

In looking for info about the servic tag in the BIOS I ran across this article which indicates Dimesions don't include that "feature," is that info outdated or just plain wrong or what?

http://download.landesk.com/support/eol ... dellst.pdf

I found out that the FlashBIOS program available from the Dell site can be made to dump a .hdr file and .rom file. I have heard that the .rom is what actually needs to be loaded onto the BIOS chip. Does anyone have any experience with this? It makes sense to me that the rom file is what actually gets flashed to the chip, but I am what they call a flaming newbie at these things, so I'm not sure that counts for much.

If you were wondering, to get the rom file I copied the FlashBIOS program onto a bootable floppy disk and restarted a computer (works on any computer, not just a Dell) with it in the drive. It will try to run the program, and fail out, saying that the hardware doesn't match. From there, simply type D2200A04.exe -writeromfile. D2200A04 is the name of the program the supplied FlashBIOS program (Dimension 2200 revison A04). To get the hdr file, use the -writehdrfile switch.

Thanks for any help, and if that file doesn't work, I'll try contacting Dell. I don't expect they'd be too thrilled to provide what I need, though.