DFI NF4 Infinity Bios image

Hot-swapping and Boot-Block flash & Boot block flash and floppy support
MartinL
New visitors - please read the rules.

I have a DFI NF4 SLI Infinity motherboard which died after a Bios upgrade. Had access to a universal programmer so I flashed the chip with the latest BIOS bin file. Motherboard is still dead and now think that the Bios upgrade most likely does not contain the full firmware. I'm wondering if anyone would have a full image of the bios for this mother board.
Information on the board is:
NF4 SLI Infinity
P/N CK804A-000 R.AD0.

Thanks
Martin
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

These are full images once unpacked:
http://us.dfi.com.tw/Support/Download/b ... =A&SITE=US
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
MartinL

Thanks Edwin

We loaded the latest bios version and it didn't work. Now that you have confirmed the file is a complete image I'll try one of the older bios versions. I'll also check with the Techs to makes sure they had the correct setting when uploading the file to the flash chip.

Regards
Martin
MartinL

Update. Programmed the flash with Bios version CK8LD811 and the motherboard still wont work. Decided to see what happen if I removed the CPU. Powered up the system and the standby light comes on as usual. Pressed the power button and the DRAM power LED lights up and the CPU fan starts but thats it. Tried the same thing but removed the bios with the same result. I still think the problem is with the bios. Need to see which chips on the motherboard accesses the bios first so I can understand at what memory location code execution begins. Need to do more research as it would be a waste to trash the motherboard, CPU and memory.

Regards
Martin
notebookwizard78

Are you sure you are using the programmer in the right way? Those things can be tricky.

AFTER FLASH CLEAR THE CMOS ALWAYS, using the JUMPER !

I recommend that you find another motherboard wich uses the exact same type of flash chip and use it to perform a hot flash.

READ AND REHEARSE THE PROCEDURE CAREFULLY.

perform the procedure at own risk.

You can use virtually any type of motherboard that has the same chip.
I call this the "Hot Cross Flash" using virtually any motherboard as a programmer, if the chip is the same.

I have tried this type of hot - cross - flash and it works.

Boot up the other motherboard and pull the chip.
This can be done easily using a special tool, but also by pulling the chip before powering up and putting a plastic cord or thin isolated wire behind it, and putting it back. After boot pull the chip out. (practice a couple of times with power off.)

MAKES SURE THE PINS ARE STILL VERY STRAIGHT BEFORE INSERTING EITHER CHIP.

Now insert the bad-flashed chip and flash it with wathever bios you want.
You will have to FORCE flash the new bios, overiding the partnumber.
(for awfl826b.exe you have to use the" /QI " option)
MAKE SURE YOU INSERT IT STRAIGHT, NOT SHORTING ANY OTHER LEADS.

DIRECTLY AFTER INSERTING:
PUT YOUR FINGER ON THE CHIP FOR FIVE/ TEN SECONDS :
IF THE INSERTED CHIP SUDDENLY GET VERY HOT, IMMEDIATELY PULL THE POWER CORD OUT. THE CHIP IS PROBABLY NOT BROKEN, YOU JUST DIDN'T INSERT IT CORRECTLY

If the motherboard you are using for the hot flash is
NOT EXACTLY THE SAME, no problem.
BUT DO NOT REBOOT OR RESET IN ANY WAY AFTER THE FLASH.
if you do so anyway it will kill the motherboard in most cases.
JUST PULL THE POWERCORD OUT OF THE SOCKET -
IN A SINGLE STRONG PULL.
Then pull the chip out and put the original chip back in both motherboards.

The chip should now be flashed correctly. If it still doesn't work then the motherboard is probably broken, most likely beyond repair. This can be the direct result of a bad flash.

Some motherboards have the flash chip soldered on. If the chips package is the same however, it can be de-soldered (I recommend reflash after that) and be replaced with a chip holder from an old MOBO. This makes backing up / hot flashing possible. You should really know what you are doing if you are going to do this. Soldering is a special trade. Be sure to disconnect the power supply and battery.
MartinL

Thought I should give you an update. Got side tracked on other projects but finally loaded a good bios. Now loaded the earliest version of bios and all is working OK. I did consider hot flashing notebookwizard78 but didn't find a suitable motherboard. Thanks to all the people who posted info and the Techs at work