failed bios update GA-K8NF-9 v1 NOW DEAD

Hot-swapping and Boot-Block flash & Boot block flash and floppy support
chunk1982
New visitors - please read the rules.

i have a gigabyte ga-k8nf-9 v1 and went to update the bios using gigabyts @bios updater (did not take a back up, stupid i no!)
flash got to 50% then failed, i may have even flashed the wrong bios as there where 2 options.
iv been on google for the past 3 days and iv read about few people bringing theirs back to like using a floopy.
now iv never used a floppy before let alone create a bootup one so this is what i did....

i used my mates vista pc, stuck in the floppy then right clicked on it under computer then clicked format and ticked create dos bootup (or something similar)
once done i copied the following from the right bios download from gigabyte for the board

k8nf-9.12k
awdflash
autoexec (edited to read: AWDFLASH k8nf-9.12k /py/sn/f/cc/r )

vista then told me there was already a autoexec but it was in caps so i click copy and replace

removed all pci and drives apart from floppy and tried to boot it from the floppy no joy just 1 real long beep and 2 short beeps

now not sure if i made bootup floppy right

i also read some times the bios is stupid and doesnt no its screwed
but you can short 2 address pins on the bios chip to force it to do some checksum error now i no i need to short A0+A1 in order for this to work but i cant find anything anywhere to tell me which pins are A0+A1 the guy who sorted his this way has not been back to that web site in nearly a year and no one has answered me on there in 2days so
dont think the site is very active now

if iv done something wrong making the floppy can you plz tell me how to make it properly and also if you knew what pins i have to short in order to force checksum error that be magic

many thanks in advance

paul

so i was wondering if anyone new my motherboard and bios chip and could tell me how do it plz

EDITED:
i definitely tried to flash the CORRECT bios
it does not pick up floppy drive (no light activity on front or noise) this is why i want to short A0+A1
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

long-short-short is a video or a memory error depending on what bios brand you have. I suggest you check the system for proper fitting of the memory sticks and the video card first.
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
chunk1982
New visitors - please read the rules.

i no its a video error because i removed the video card and all drives apart from floppy trying to make it boot from floppy which contained the bios image i need
im only after the location of the address pins A0 and A1 on the bios chip so that i can short them thus creating a checksum error that will force it to run from floppy

EDITED:
found A0 + A1 but still did not boot from floppy :cry: still dont even light up or make a noise
user8012
BIOS Newbie

Check your floppy drive.
If floppy drive doesn't work(rotate with noise and flashing a front LED), this BIOS doesn't support recovery mode.
And K8 are useing a LPC flashrom
And LPC flashrom is little unique.
Check your flashrom model name.
It may be one of 49LFxxx, 39Vxxx or 49Vxxx.
They don't have A0 or A1 pin.
So you can't enter to recovery mode by A0-A1 shorting.
If you can pull-out the flashrom from chip-socket, I recommend a useing a hot flashing.
(if it was soldered, give up repair.)
But hot flashing needs a same M/B chipset(= Ultra MCP) and it is little unique.
If you don't have same chipset M/B, you can use a flashrom programmer.
Some flashrom programmer is very cheap($20,include postage).
Search "NANO BIOS Programmer" at Google.

chunk1982 wrote:i no its a video error because i removed the video card and all drives apart from floppy trying to make it boot from floppy which contained the bios image i need
im only after the location of the address pins A0 and A1 on the bios chip so that i can short them thus creating a checksum error that will force it to run from floppy

EDITED:
found A0 + A1 but still did not boot from floppy :cry: still dont even light up or make a noise
sharky
BIOS Newbie

chunk1982 wrote:im only after the location of the address pins A0 and A1 on the bios chip so that i can short them thus creating a checksum error that will force it to run from floppy

That's expected. Shorting A0+A1 of the BIOS ROM chip never worked (not even back in 1990) because it can't work. The only thing that can happen is killing your BIOS ROM chip and your board. If you don't get any speaker beeps nor POST code output on a POST card, it's a pretty sure sign the CPU can't fetch any instruction from ROM (dead board, dead ROM or erased ROM). There is NO - let me repeat NO - way to recover a board in such a state from floppy.

You can still hotflash in another board. As long as the chip bus (parallel/LPC/FWH/SPI) and the chip form factor are identical between boards, there is a good chance this can work. If you're using Linux/*BSD/OSX, try the flashrom utility because it supports hotflashing/crossflashing by default.