Flash Update was Interrupted, HELP ASAP

Hot-swapping and Boot-Block flash & Boot block flash and floppy support
Jake
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hi I'm a computer newb (with Windows XP) and I have an Intel D865PERC Motherboard.

What happened was I wanted to update my BIOS and I download and clicked this .exe titled "Express BIOS Update P17" on this page from intel...

http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/rc/rc_bios.htm

Anyway, I clicked it and it all went pretty fast and before I did anything it was shutting down my computer, I kinda spaced at that point. Anyway, it started making noise like it was updating or something and me being the dumb guy I am interrupted it by hard rebooting. So, when that happened I went to this page and did the following instructions...

http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/recoverybios.htm

Now, when I startup I actually see the Intel Motherboard screen (for a short period) then it goes to "Reboot and select the proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device". So, when that happened, I restarted again and went into the BIOS and put everything to Defaults by hitting F9 then saved with F10 and left. I restarted again and wam, same thing... Anyway, the version was updated to the newest one, because I looked. The problem is I can't get windows to start. I have 1 hardrive and I'm going to cry if I lose all my stuff. :cry:
lucske74
Chip off the ol' block

Have you save the old bios file !
So you must then copy on a formatted disk .
read this =http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/recoverybios.htm
Jake

Yes, I tried that. My bios is working, but it or my computer doesn't detect 2 out of 4 things. It detects my floppy and one other thing that I'm not sure of. But, it can't find my hardrive to boot windows up on.
Repo Man

I suspect that the BIOS is corrupted, and only partly working. I would use the floppy to reflash the BIOS. If that does not work, then flash back to your previous BIOS.
Jake

How do I flash back? I did that thing to recover. But, I don't think that's what you mean.

Anyway, for a broader summary of "where I am at":

Currently if I start my computer. Instead of loading Windows XP (Home Edition), it will load the words "Reboot and select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device". (But I have the most updated bios version and I have access to it if I hold F2)
Repo Man

I mean go back to the previous BIOS. Most flash utilities give you the option to save your current BIOS when you flash. And most motherboard manufacturers list previous as well as the most current on their websites.

An older version of the recovery BIOS is here, http://www.bios-drivers.com/drivers/182/182706.htm . Login: drivers Password: all. I'd try that using their procedure ( http://developer.intel.com/design/mothe ... rybios.htm ) and hopefully that will sort out your problem.

What is your currently selected boot drive?
Jake

yeah, I did that recovery process with the newer September 2003, P17 one that they gave on the website. It seemed to work cause I have the newest version, but it just isn't loading windows and gives me that same stupid error.

Do you mean my boot device priority? Umm... Anyway, my main and only hardrive is C. My floppy is A. My 2 CD-Rom drives are D and E I believe. In bios boot device priority it has 2 drives that are detected. Floppy first, and I think 1 of the CD drives. It detects both CD drives, and a floppy. But, the bios itself doesn't recognize the main hard drive.

You think I should still go ahead and try putting the P16 .bio file into it and switch the jumpers and try loading the old one again? Or is there another way?
Repo Man

The other way would be to use the latest BIOS and reflash it the standard way. But if your harddrive is connected,(and in good working order) but not recognized by your motherboard, then yes, I think you need to reflash your BIOS
Jake

Okay, is reflashing the same as recovering according to that intel page?

Like do you have instructions. I'm kinda stupid. :(
Repo Man

Jake

Okay, I did that again. It doesn't work. The main problem I'd say is that the BIOS doesn't detect the main hard drive. Either that or it is just giving me that stupid "Reboot and select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device" just to piss me off. What do people normally do when they "have a so called new hardrive" *goes to google* (My hardrive is NOT new, but basically the computer prolly thinks it is)
Repo Man

IMO, either your BIOS is corrupted, or there is some problem with the latest version and you harddrive. If you flash it again with no difficulties, and the problem persists, I would try to go back to the earlier BIOS which was working.
lucske74
Chip off the ol' block

Maybe , you can try first check you harddrive on another pc if it's works then you bios is corrupt or not good . If it's not work then You Harddrive is maybe bad or dead .
Jake

Okay, I guess I will try on this computer. But, first I need to know if this is safe.

Can I just remove the only master harddrive from my working computer and temporarily replace it with the "possibly corrupt" one? Or will it mess up this motherboard too? :(
lucske74
Chip off the ol' block

it is safe , you can try it on another pc as sleave , don't forget the jumper on the HD set to sleave .
Or you can let him stay to master , en change it with the good workend hd on the good pc . When it's good the HD wil boot and you see de windows screen , then he wil instal the drivers cause you try a new motherboard.