Flashed Bios, now I can't boot

Hot-swapping and Boot-Block flash & Boot block flash and floppy support
tosh9i
New visitors - please read the rules.

I have a MSI 865 PE Neo-2 series motherboard. I was having trouble with my controller card, and I somehow "stupidly" ended up flashing my bios. Now, I can't boot up my computer.

This is the email I sent to MSI Customer Service, I'm awaiting a response from them:

I accidentally flashed my bios. After that, I restarted my computer, but nothing happened. My computer wouldn't boot. I couldn't even get to the Bios screen. For half an hour I was trying numerous things, then I used my mom's computer and found out about the AMI Bios recovery thing.

So, I tried that, and surprisingly, it worked. However, at the time, my hard drive wasn't plugged in, so I shut down my computer and plugged it in. Then I restarted my computer and it booted up perfectly to windows xp. Several minutes after that, I thought that I was in the clear and decided to plug in my secondary hard drive. So I shut down my computer and plugged it in. Unfortunately, it wouldn't boot just like before. So, I tried unplugging my secondary drive and tried the AMI BIOS recovery, but it didn't work.

Things that I tried, but failed:
1) AMI Bios recovery
2) Award bios recovery
3) Removing JBAT1 and clearing CMOS
4) Removing battery and clearing CMOS
5) Tried installing older BIOS

I can't purchase a new chip because the current one is "soldered" not a socket.

Now I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place and have run out of ideas. Any help would be appreciated.

Problem: I stupidly flashed my bios, now my computer won't boot.
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

What did you use to flash it anyway? Any idea what went wrong? Wrong file, wrong flasher, power down during flash?
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
tosh9i

[quote="edwin"]What did you use to flash it anyway? Any idea what went wrong? Wrong file, wrong flasher, power down during flash?[/quote]

I'm now quite sure what I used. I'm pretty good with computers, but I'm not too experienced with flashing and bios. As far as I know, it was something like "utilflash", that's probably now the same title. I thought that it would help me re-install my controller card. The card worked with my previous hard drive, but when I installed the new hard drive and new operating system, the controller card wouldn't recognize my third hard drive. So for some stupid reason, I thought that using "utilflash" would help because I was trying for about 2 days getting the card to work with no luck. So, I double clicked on the program, and waited, it gave me no indication of its status, so after four minutes of doing nothing I figured it was probably frozen, and ending up closing it. Then I restarted my computer and it didn't boot.

What really confuses me is that after first trying the AMI Bios recovery, it worked but only that one time (first time).
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

could this be bad luck and http://www.badcaps.net bad capacitors?
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
tosh9i

[quote="edwin"]could this be bad luck and http://www.badcaps.net bad capacitors?[/quote]

I doubt it, I don't recall seeing any of that "residue" on my motherboard, but I double check when I get home later today.
tosh9i

Well, there's no residue.

However, I just read that when you use the AMI BIOS Recovery, you should wait "4 minutes" is that true? When I use that program, it only takes about 45 seconds, then it seems to restart (but no boot). I can tell from the lights on the dvd drive (green lights).

Plus, I have never heard my computer make those "4 beeping sounds.
KachiWachi
The New Guy

Sounds like it is time to strip the thing down to just the keyboard and video card, and try to get into the BIOS that way.

Then slowly add components until you are full up again.

Do you mean "UniFlash"?

Thanks.
tosh9i

Well, I tried waiting for 10 minutes yesterday with the AMI BIOS Recovery, but it still didn't work.

I'm not entirely sure if it was "uniflash" or "utilflash" or something else.

I'm going to try and strip it down tonight.
tosh9i

I think that UPDFLASH was the program that I used to flash my bios. I was initially trying to flash the bios on the controller card (sil0680a).

I opened it in Windows, it froze, so I closed it (end task), restarted my computer and it wouldn't boot.

The last one on this page:
http://www.siliconimage.com/support/dow ... sataraid=0&
tosh9i

Thank you KachiWachi. I did what you said and stripped my computer down to the keyboard, video card, and floppy. And now my computer is working fine.

I feel so relieved.

Thanks again KachiWachi.
KachiWachi
The New Guy

So can we assume then that the sil0680a controller card is now "brainless"?
tosh9i

Actually, everything is working "perfectly." I installed my new (third) hard drive, managed to copy over the old operating system, and everything seem fine, which includes the sil0680 controller card. That card is a real pain when it's not working, but once you get it to work, it works fine.

I didn't want to have to reinstall everything because I have about 28 computer games that take up 94 GB. It would have taken forever to reinstall all of them.

But, like I said everything is working perfectly.

Thanks again