Gateway profile 5 bios flash gone wrong

Hot-swapping and Boot-Block flash & Boot block flash and floppy support
Bob73
New visitors - please read the rules.

I recently replaced an original pata HD in a profile 5 with a 250Gb SATA. The machine only recognized the new drive as 128Gb so I decided to flash to the latest version of the BIOS to see if that would help. BIG MISTAKE..... the machine is now a brick. When powered up, it emits one high pitched beep and one low pitched beep. Nothing is displayed on the screen.

Based on the things I've read, I should be able to move the BIOS jumper from pins 1-2 to 2-3 and power up the machine with a BIOS restore floppy in the drive to restore the BIOS. I've tried this but am missing something.

The windows based BIOS update from Gateway comes with a windows app, a .bin, .map, and a .sys file. I've tried putting the .bin .map and .sys files on a floppy to restore the screwed up BIOS. I've also tried just placing the .bin file on floppy. Either way, when starting up with the floppy, the drive attempts to read it then emits 4 connected sounding beeps.

HELP! :x
user8012
BIOS Newbie

Pull-out the jumper. (not 1-2 or 2-3)
Then, retry update with floppy.

Bob73 wrote:I recently replaced an original pata HD in a profile 5 with a 250Gb SATA. The machine only recognized the new drive as 128Gb so I decided to flash to the latest version of the BIOS to see if that would help. BIG MISTAKE..... the machine is now a brick. When powered up, it emits one high pitched beep and one low pitched beep. Nothing is displayed on the screen.

Based on the things I've read, I should be able to move the BIOS jumper from pins 1-2 to 2-3 and power up the machine with a BIOS restore floppy in the drive to restore the BIOS. I've tried this but am missing something.

The windows based BIOS update from Gateway comes with a windows app, a .bin, .map, and a .sys file. I've tried putting the .bin .map and .sys files on a floppy to restore the screwed up BIOS. I've also tried just placing the .bin file on floppy. Either way, when starting up with the floppy, the drive attempts to read it then emits 4 connected sounding beeps.

HELP! :x
jhw972
New visitors - please read the rules.

Did you ever get a solution to this problem? I just bricked mine trying to update to version 8.