Help!!Compaq Presario 1247 notebook dead.

Hot-swapping and Boot-Block flash & Boot block flash and floppy support
Jardel
New visitors - please read the rules.

I just need boot block to search the floppy, and I could take it from there even if there's no video. Please help.

My ATMEL (AT49f002T) bios chip is soldered into mb, so I think we could not talk about "hot flash" or a "replacement bios".

But any ideas on the set of keys to hold down while booting to force boot block phoenxiphlash BIOS? If not, does shorting 2 high address pins work with ATMEL bios chip to force a checksum error? If so, which pin numbers?

Problem details:
1. correct image file of PHOENIXPHLASH was flashed. But the NOTEBOOK crashed midway through the upgrade now the notebook won't even boot up too. No video, no beeps, no floppy seek on boot up.
3. Bios chip is soldered into motherboard. (ATMEL AT49F002T 32 PINS, UPGRADE SIZE 256 Kb)
4. Compaq Presario 1247 notebook.
Please help.
Joe
Chip off the ol' block

Hello,

This is a common problem with the Presario 1200 / 1200XL series. We've replaced well over 60 of these boards BIOS chip. That Atmel AT49002 is a nightmare and often becomes damaged with the flash process.

Is your system still powering on? In most cases it won't, in some cases it will and simply not display video or POST.

On the top side (opposite of the BIOS chip now) is a 32 pin PLCC pad that will accept any 5 volt PLCC 29F004 replacement chip.

If you are in the US, you can contact jack@badflash.com for a 32 pin PLCC chip, but I think you might need to supply him with the BIOS image file.

We can sell you a pre-programmed 32 pin TSOP chip but you'll need to have the ability to remove your current bad chip and mount our replacement chip.

Joe K

aqs12@adelphia.net