Help with Biostar M5ATC

Hot-swapping and Boot-Block flash & Boot block flash and floppy support
RobertR.
Master Flasher

I have went to california for a two weeks and before i went i unplugged my computer. When i returned i plugged it back on and it does not see the harddrive. To make sure my harddrive wasnt dead, i swapped it with the computers orginal seagate 2gig harddrive that had windows 98 and the BIOS still dosent detect it. So then i took out the harddrive from my friends hp pavilion (80 gig maxtor which i know is working) and put it my computer and it still does not see it. What is wrong with it?

Here is my computers details:

Mother Board : Biostar M5ATC

BIOS type: Award Modular BIOS v4.51PG.

BIOS date: 11/21/97

BIOS ID: 11/21/97-ALi-154x-2A5KIB09C-00

BIOS Sign-On: ATC1121D

Chipset: ALi M1531 rev 179
Take precautions.
Denniss
BIOS Guru

Set all IDE ports to autodetect in Bios. Try to connect drive to both Primary and Seconddary controller.
Either something died on your comp or it's a problem with your backup battery causing some strange behaviour.
RobertR.
Master Flasher

Can anyone tell me a store that i can buy another BIOSTAR M5ATC motherboard for a cheap price?
Take precautions.
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

you might get lucky and find one on a flea market. there is not a single one listed on ebay at the moment. the shops have long long ago dumped their stock of these boards. It is 9 years old. That is prehistoric in todays terms for computers.
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
RobertR.
Master Flasher

Is there another board related to the M5ATC that may be on the market?
Take precautions.
cp
BIOS Guru

like edwin already stated: those boards are really old! you probably won't get any board that's still AT since all boards are ATX now (since a few years really). you might try getting one on some large online auction..look for something with "ALi Aladdin V" or "ViA MVP3"
RobertR.
Master Flasher

I i use a controller card will it work?
Take precautions.
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

It might. No guarantees. Check the data cable as well.
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
KachiWachi
The New Guy

You can also try swapping out the HDD ribbon cable, and verify that the power supply is outputting the correct voltages.
RobertR.
Master Flasher

Okay, i know that this thread stopped about 2 months ago, but now i am sure that it is my power supply. I used a volt meter and checked the output level, and it is putting out too much power.(which also explains how my cd-rw, dvd-rom, cd-rom, and two harddrives blew). Does anyone know where i could get a new (AT format) powersupply? And also, because the power supply was pushing out too much power, is it possibl that my mobo is partially dead too?
cp
BIOS Guru

can you post the voltage levels you measured? did you measure the voltages under load?