Hot Flashing / Boot Block Question (contribute ur 2 cent)

Hot-swapping and Boot-Block flash & Boot block flash and floppy support
ZiMMie
New visitors - please read the rules.

Well i have 2 dead mobo. Asus A7S333 and the A7N266. I Have a workin A7N8X-Deluxe. after a week of readin / brosin this forum i tried to flash these 2 mobo on my a78x-deluxe usin Uniflash/aflash/Awadflash. No Luck. My question is is it possible to flash jst the boot block on the bios usin uniflash but it ask me for 8k file for the boot block. is it possible to extract this file from the download bios if so how?? and has anyone succefully flash these kinda board usin the a78x. Could it because it a 512k bios and the other dead bios's r 256? or the voltage? etc someone please help me out...

thanx alot in advance
:oops:
ZiMMie

bump
PeteV
BIOS Rookie

Hi!

As a comment for your problem solving trials, anyway I assume you have some replaceable BIOS chips, but, you may not succeed flashing a 256kB chip on a mobo with a 512kB chip connector, the addressing is supposed to come to pins A0-A18 instead of A0-A17 only, and further, also the boot-blocks are different in size 16kB and 8kB.

I think the best way is to find a working 256kB replaceable same connector chip mobo and try to do the hot-swap flashing there, the chip voltages are probably the same 5V on both, but please, for security try to check that, too.

The boot-block may be possible to get flashed also separately, but sorry, I haven't yet got aquainted with the procedure separating the 8kb.

But, still some questions before doing too much work maybe for nothing,
(a POST card would help on these checkings)
- are the dead mobos' powered-on like normal?
- are the power voltages like they should be?
- are the CPU and BIOS and battery voltages OK?
and so on ... then it's worth to go on to the next steps and flashing trials.

Happy trials!

Regards,

Pete V.
ZiMMie

anyone in toronto with one of these boards??
sulbert
Master Flasher

Nforce2 boards do use 3.3-V LPC flash chips. A7S333 has a 5-V parallel flash chip (my guess is based on the other boards that use SiS chipsets). No idea about A7N266, most likely LPC too? Peel off the stickers that's on the flash chip and see what's printed on it.