Intel D955XBK - Three Long Beeps - No Video

Hot-swapping and Boot-Block flash & Boot block flash and floppy support
liquidfalcon
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hello,

I have an Intel D955XBK with an Intel Core 2 Duo Extreme Edition CPU. When I start the computer I get no video out, and three long beeps. I have found that on Intel boards it means its a Memory issue in the first 64KB, however I have swapped out the RAM from a known good computer and I still get the same issue. I have tried with a different GPU, and ripping out all cards and reseating them. Could someone offer some advice? I really dont want to chuck this board if theres a chance of bringing it back.

Should I purchase one of those POST cards with the error segment LEDs to help? Or something else to rescue this? The last thing I remember doing on this computer before this started happening was replacing the GPU with another one. The GPU and the board worked perfectly before the replacement. I dont remember any bangs or smoke when I did this.

Thank you in advance for any help!
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

The Core2 Duo family of Intel processors is not supported on this board:
http://www.intel.com/support/motherboar ... 026574.htm

Get one that is supported.
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
liquidfalcon

Yes it is. I have ran this computer for 5 years with that core.

I have reset my CMOS from a recommendation on another board. I no longer here any beeps from it. Not even the one beep that says everything passed the POST test and still no video out. I think shes truley buggered. If anyone thinks I can save this please let me know.

Thanks again.
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

Core2 Duo CPUs are not in the compatibility list so yes, you may have killed your board by using one despite Intel saying not to do so.
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

liquidfalcon

The core is compatible. I apologize but I believe I have stated the wrong core. It was the Dual Core Extreme Edition, but I know it was compatible with my board as I got them together and it was listed as compatible at the time.
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

ok so with that out of the way, next step is to check both the board and the power supply for bulging or leaking capacitors, check out this site:

http://www.badcaps.net

to see what to look for.

You did power off the system before swapping the GPU, right? You did check if the extra power connector on the GPU card was also connected?

What make/model GPU did you fit, what is the wattage rating of your power supply (make/model of that would be handy too)?

I just remember you can get these effects from an underpowered power supply and GPU cards these days are real power-hungry. Some of them have an extra power connector which you must connect.
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

liquidfalcon

I am not sure of the PSU at the second, I'll post that in a bit when I get home and check the caps on it.

I have tried it with an NVIDIA 6200, 9600 GT (With the connector plugged in) and an ATI Radeon 4650. Both the 6200 and 9600GT worked on this machine at the same time for about 3 years so I dont think its a power issue.

I powered off the machine yes and was grounded with a static wrist strap.

I thank you again for your help, it is much appreciated.
liquidfalcon

I've looked over all the caps and I dont see any bulging, exploded, or leaking so I dont think its a bad cap.

The PSU doesnt have a model number or any indication of who made it or wattage, but im pretty sure its a good 600W or 700W one. Been a while, but im pretty sure it was one of those.

Thanks again for the help.
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

so you took it out to look on all sides of the PSU?
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

liquidfalcon

I cant take the entire PSU out of the case as its mostly built in, and without taking almost the entire thing apart. I did manage to see that its a 750W PSU made by ThermalTake, although I could not see the model number of it.

Cheers!
Th3_uN1Qu3
BIOS Rookie

ThermalTake are known for running fine for a couple years and then failing without warning, so you could very well have a bad PSU there.