Intermittant HDD problems

Hot-swapping and Boot-Block flash & Boot block flash and floppy support
fionn
New visitors - please read the rules.

Installed new HDD running xp pro on K7s5a MB after updating bios(with help from this board),however HDD keeps disappearing.Checked all the connections and cables(changed them).Sometimes when I boot it shows but more often than not it wont show or detect in the bios.Its driving me nuts.This new drive will not work in my other pc as the bios probably needs to be updated also.Is the problem likely to be the HDD or my MB? :? :?
ajzchips
El cheapo dude

Try disabling the "Quick Boot" option in your BIOS. Your HDD might require just a bit more of time for its detection.
ruelnov
Master Flasher

Try AUTO/AUTO settings for your Primary Master in CMOS Setup. If no joy, try AUTO/LBA. If still no joy, try USER and enter the CHS parameters for that HD.

If your CMOS Setup has an IDE AUTO-DETECTION feature, try it. If still no joy, feel your HD with your hands when you power up your PC. If you don't feel any vibration then your HD is not spinning up.
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

Check jumper settings on hard drive also if rulenov's suggestions do not work. Try between Sole Only, Cable Select and Master.
fionn

Finally MB is Faulty!
Thanks to all who replied.
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

I just realised in your first post you said the HDD keeps dissapearing. Have you tried a replacement CMOS battery?

And also you just updated the BIOS? Was the previous BIOS OK?

And if you run your old HDD on the new BIOS is that OK? If this is OK maybe there is some kind of bug in the new BIOS?

I wouldn't give up on the main board quite yet.
fionn

I will get it back and try again :oops: :oops: It shouldn't be that simple ,but it usually is!