"hp invent" blue screen... won't boot. hp873n

Hot-swapping and Boot-Block flash & Boot block flash and floppy support
haider
New visitors - please read the rules.

I have an hp873n.
The problem is that when I power up the machine I see the "hp invent" blue screen with white hp logo... and the thing doens't goto boot.

I had sucess in the past when this happened by holding down the esc key before powering it up to force a keyboard error... thought even this doesn not work now to get it to boot.

Any help appreciated.

When I hold down F1 .... it shows text "Entering Setup" at the bottom of that hp invent screen but never enters the setup and just sits there.

When my machine was running it worked fine... if I ever restarted it.... not leaving it off for any more than 1 min or so... it would turn on and boot up fine.

Though if the computer if off for any length of time it doesn't easily reboot... and shows the "hp invent" screen.

Once the power went out in my area... and when I turned the computer back on (afer a couple of hours) all I saw was the "hp invent" screen.... and the computer wouldn't boot....it would just sit there at this blue screen.

A friend of mine suggested to me that the bios does not know where do go in terms of the regular path of system check that it used to do and needs another path to boot.... and told me to turn off the machine .... and with the machine off, hold down the esc key ... and while still holding down the esc key, turn the machine back on.... This was apparently supposed to force a keyboard error and give the bios a new path from which to boot. This actually worked.... and I got the computer up and running again. The computer has been on since then (which was about a 8 months ago) and just a couple of days ago another power outage in my area left the computer off for some 5-6 hours and now even the esc key trick wont bring it back online.

I know nothing is wrong with the hard drive....

what I thought you might advise me about is the BIOS.

Is the BIOS a thing that I can just buy and replace?
How can I get the computer to boot again?
Has something similar happened to you?
What do you think the problem is?

My retrieval of data on this machine is crucial as I have a pending deadline coming early next week.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Edit - Removed the OP's e-mail address. KW
mikef

I had the same problem. But i fixed it by powering off the computer. Then unplugg all of your USB devices. Actually unplug everything except the mouse and keyboard. Then when i powered back on it booted up perfectly.

Hope this works for you. It did for me.

mike
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

The original power supply was a Bestec unit. These have a habit of dying and putting +30V on the +12V line just before going out. Chances are high the motherboard has gone south in this process.
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
cainnoce

I also could not boot passed the blue screen
(HP Compaq dc 7700p Convertible Windows XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 3)

I unplugged all of the USB devices but the mouse and keyboard.
I held the ESC key down.
Turned the computer on.
The computer booted up.
I pressed the F1 option choice.
It booted to Windows with full functionality.

It was like a miracle. I thought I would have to call an expert.

Thank you Mike F.
hkelly1

I had the same problem with my HP desktop. After reading the above post, while the blue screen was displayed, I unplugged the USB devices and it continued on to the normal boot. Since I have two external drives, I am guessing that it had a problem finding the correct drive to boot up from. I guess by eliminating the other drives, it must have figured that the C drive was the correct one and found what it was looking for. All's well that ends well for now, Thanks because of the above post made it was an easy fix for now.