MB K8Upgrade-1689 BIOS flashing

Hot-swapping and Boot-Block flash & Boot block flash and floppy support
jabalv
New visitors - please read the rules.

I`m first time in this forum so I will say hello to everyone! :)

My problem:

I have mother board Asrock K8Upgrade-1689 socket 754. I tested VGA, RAM on other boards, all components works fine! So when I turn on this K8Upgrade-1689 board, coolers spins and blank screen, thats all, no any beeps from bios. So I thinking about bios hotflashing.Because no activity from bios, I think.

Will I think in right way? Is any way how to check BIOS chip if it`s not physically broken?
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

could be a CPU that is not supported. But first check for proper fitting of the bios chip in its socket. I have had an issue with an Asrock socket754 board with this...
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
jabalv

edwin wrote:could be a CPU that is not supported. But first check for proper fitting of the bios chip in its socket. I have had an issue with an Asrock socket754 board with this...
CPU is supported, because system has worked for long time, just right now it don`t work.
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

bad capacitors then I fear.

http://www.badcaps.net

most likely you have (O)ST capacitors in there, they are famous for going bad, have seen it on all my Asrock boards so far :(
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

jabalv

edwin wrote:bad capacitors then I fear.

http://www.badcaps.net

most likely you have (O)ST capacitors in there, they are famous for going bad, have seen it on all my Asrock boards so far :(
I already check capacitors, they looks fine (no puffed or any spillages). So?
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

checked your power supply for bad capacitors as well? I just dumped one from a pre-built system with Asrock board. Budget power supplies suffer from this also.
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

jabalv

edwin wrote:checked your power supply for bad capacitors as well? I just dumped one from a pre-built system with Asrock board. Budget power supplies suffer from this also.
allredy checked PSU and swapped with one 100% working PSU, so PSU is fine.
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

so you have checked all other components in a different system (including the CPU) and everything works. We tried almost all easy fixes, replace the CMOS battery with a new one, it can cause this behaviour too when bad.

Yeah, if something is wrong with the board, you can try a hotflash of the chip but no guarantee it will work.
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

jabalv

edwin wrote:so you have checked all other components in a different system (including the CPU) and everything works. We tried almost all easy fixes, replace the CMOS battery with a new one, it can cause this behaviour too when bad.

Yeah, if something is wrong with the board, you can try a hotflash of the chip but no guarantee it will work.
Is there is any much smarter way how to diagnose problem on motherboard components? So I want know exactly which component on board is dead. I think there need use a tester, but I don`t have a lot of knowledge of tester use.

I was already try hotflash. (I will write next time, what I do and what goes wrong with it!)