PC/Motherboard dead- MS-6535 ver1

Hot-swapping and Boot-Block flash & Boot block flash and floppy support
rpp
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hi,

I have MSI Hemes 650 barebone system. Around 4 to 5 months ago I flashed the bios to support 1400x900 widescreen resolution. Everything was fine except the CPU used to beep regularly. Sometimes it used to beep like an ambulance but it also used to stop on its own. As far as PC functions were concerned, it was working all fine till yesterday.

Yesterday, when I switched on my PC, the display won't come up at all. The green power light was coming up but there was no boot beep and no display. I checked everything but can't find anything wrong in the connections or cable. I think something has seriously gone wrong with the motherboard or Bios chip. I tried to restore the original bios which I had kept on my laptop through floppy by renaming the bios file to amiboot.rom but PC not even reading from a floppy.

Can someone please help and let me know if anyone had this problem and how it can be fixed.

Here is the link to the Bios of my PC.
http://global.msi.com.tw/index.php?func ... 3_no=#menu
cp
BIOS Guru

the CPU used to beep? 8O
did you check for bulged caps already? don't forget to try another psu, too. there are caps in there, too, but i can't recommend to open up a psu since the voltages involved (the warning labels are there for a reason!).
If you email me include [WIMSBIOS] in the subject.
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

ambulance -> overheating alarm?

Check if all fans are still spinning and have a look at
http://www.badcaps.net
to see what bad capacitors look like.
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
rpp

Thanks for you reply.

I checked all the caps but could not find whether there is anything wrong with them. I tried to check the motherbord with another PSU but some of the connections were not in that psu which were required for motherboard. I think it was because the psu belonged to a Packard Bell PC and it was quite old.

Finally I thought I was going to buy a new psu tomorrow to check and started packing the PC unit. When done, I was so frusteted with all these as I spent my complete weekend fixing my PC without , I just tapped my PC twice little hard... and to my surprise it started working. Now I don't know whether it happened as I opened most of the connections and then put them in place again ot I tapped the PC but it is now working fine. But I shall keep a close eye on it for next few days.

Thanks very much for all your help.
j_saade25
BIOS Newbie

What is your processor? Intel or AMD?

If AMD then you really must take action towards the overheating or you will end up without a CPU.
cp
BIOS Guru

intel obviously.
If you email me include [WIMSBIOS] in the subject.
rpp

It's Intel - P4, 1.6 MHz.

The PC is around 5 yrs old. It has worked splendid all these years and even now it is working absolutely fine.

CP, You were asking about CPU beeps. It is still beeping and when I check the temperature, it's all in control. The beeper keeps on beeping sometimes but doesn't make any difference in the PC response. If you remember when I flashed the updates bios sent by yourself I had asked how I can stop this beeping. It stopped on its own but appeared again. Normally when I chat on Skye this beeping start continuous and when I stop it gradually stops but again temperature looks to be in control, all fans works as they should be. any advice on this please.

Can I just remove the beeper from motherboard to get rid of these beeps?
kimedel

how can i restor my files from the dead board
KachiWachi
The New Guy

@kimedel -

Same motherboard (MS-6535 ver1)?