My motherboard is dead :/

Hot-swapping and Boot-Block flash & Boot block flash and floppy support
Blazin
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hey and first a happy new year to you all..

Well my problem is my motherboard, i think the bios is dead :/

I have tried taking out my ram an the machine beeps ( thats a good thing i think :) )

I have tried removing my gfx card but the machine do not beep...

I all started when i installed my new bios... the computer restarted and it seemed to work good... i restarted again to fix my sittings in bios, but then my monitor went black and now i cant see a thing

It dosent seem like the computer boots, I can only hear the HDD load a little bit at the powerup.

My motherboard: Abit IS7-E

Now I was wondering if you guys could help me :)
atang1
BIOS Newbie

I believe you can always reflash it back to the original bios, if the floppy light comes on again? Roms are pretty tough, I started hotplug them many years ago. There are troublesome ones which are faster than 90 ns(like 45 ns). I like to use 120 or even 150 ns flash. Once it is shadowed, nobody knows the difference.

I have sold many used roms on ebay; so that people can flash a spare, instead of the original.

Good luck.

In doubt of your bios, use a mini post card to tell you the problems, for sure.
Blazin

So is there hope or not ?
ajzchips
El cheapo dude

You might need a replacement BIOS chip... looks like yours doesn't retain its contents properly.
atang1
BIOS Newbie

As I said, Roms are tough. I have programmed many a flash, eeprom and eproms. Hotplug them on non native motherboards just to flash. Flash are made with buffers, so they are not too easily destroyed.

The problem is generally, that the new bios does not fit your motherboard version number. Before flash, the dram already has a shadowed bios, so it works perfectly.

After you flashed, the new bios does not work any more on reboot.

So, you have to flash again to the original bios, if you still have a copy?

Good luck. All motherboard manufacturers warn you that the new bios may not work on your motherboard. A valued disclaimer to be sure; but the risk exists because of chipset revisions.
atang1
BIOS Newbie

Ajz;

I had done extensive research on Pcchips motherboards manufactured in 1999 up to 2001. Many thanks to your work in providing info not known to me at that time. I have kept one M748Lmrt with the latest Amptron drivers. Only the serial port was damaged because of pushing the adaptor too hard in the computer case. Fortunately, adding more USB ports made it better. It overclocks 333 Celron to 500 very well and the short wait state made it very fast.

Keep up the good work.
Blazin

After I have replaced the BIOS chip should i then install the old bios from a floppy disk ?
atang1
BIOS Newbie

I would get a mini post card, from ebay if necessary and check the motherboard posting first with everything the way it is. Then you will know if the motherboard failed for any reason?