Motherboard is dead

Hot-swapping and Boot-Block flash & Boot block flash and floppy support
paulpeter
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hi,

I'm having a ASUS P4B533-V motherboard. I installed it recently in my little server which i use for downloading. My AGP graphiccard wasn't working on it, so i used the onboard graphic to install everything. The PC was running fine and i desided to update my BIOS so hopefully my AGP graphiccard was recognised by the Motherboard.

I tryed to update my bios using the Asus update utility. The first two steps went fine but the last step give me an error (forgot to note this :evil: ). Anyway i rebooted my pc to update it using the flash way in Dos. But my motherboard was dead.

I tryed the following things! And looked on google for solutions and on this forum but i couldn't find anything!

I removed the battery from the CIOS for 15 min and replaced it.

Also tryed the following thing as described in the manual of the motherboard.

To erase the RTC RAM:
1. Turn OFF the computer and unplug the power cord.
2. Remove the battery.
3. Short the solder points with a metal object for about 5 seconds.
4. Re-install the battery.
5. Plug the power cord and turn ON the computer.
6. Hold down the <Del> key during the boot process and enter BIOS
setup to re-enter data.

But they didn't work. At least i'm not sure if executed the second sollution correctly.

My screen is black and my computer is reading the floppy drive. I have no idea what i have to do to fix it?

Can you guys please help!
lucske74
Chip off the ol' block

If it is a Amibios ,then you must RENAME the biosfile to AMIBOOT.ROM
put it on the disk and let you floppy read the disk.
You see nothing on the screen , but you hear 4 beeps when it's done .
Then start you motherbord again and push the keys for come to in your Bios , like F2 or del . Load the defaults or the best system corrections.
paulpeter

I renamed the biosfile to amiboot.rom and tryed this. It's reads the disk for about 5 seconds and then nothing. I waited for 5 minutes or so bot no beeps. So i guess this means i don't have amibios.
lucske74
Chip off the ol' block

You find the latest biosfiles here and also the flash utility http://www.asus.com.tw/support/download ... ype=Latest
You must make a bootable floppy disk , then copy the Aflash utility and the bios file on the disk.
Then you must edit the autoexcut.bat with the follow commando line
AFlash.exe (biosfile) "without ()
paulpeter

Thanx for your help sofar, i really appreciate it.

I tried the following 2 things as recommended. I download the Aflash file and extract it to floppy in combination with the bios file. The floppy reads the disk for 5 seconds and then nothing. I waited for 5 minutes in both cases but this didn't effect anything unfortunately. Maybe i made a mistake somewhere?

Code: Select all

mode con codepage prepare=((850) ega.cpi)
mode con codepage select=850
keyb nl,,keybrd2.sys
AFLASH.EXE P4BV1008.AWD

Code: Select all

mode con codepage prepare=((850) ega.cpi)
mode con codepage select=850
keyb nl,,keybrd2.sys
AFLASH.EXE A:\P4BV1008.AWD
lucske74
Chip off the ol' block

whas the disk bootable !!!
You must first make a bootable disk , then with the editor the follow command ligne , write in your autoexec.bat .
Aflash.exe (name of the biosfile)
someone like this
Aflash.exe P4B500.bin.
Then you start the pc with the disk in it .
paulpeter

i tryed two disk. One with a ms-dos bootdisket which i created on this pc. And one with and one i created with ddr-flash. Both add the line in the autoexec.bat

Did everything as you said and even tryed with renaming my bios file to a bin extension from an awd.

So i tryed all diferent options, but it's reads the disk for 5 seconds and nothing happens.
lucske74
Chip off the ol' block

For this award bios , you must not rename de biosfile .
This is only for Amibios.
But I think that you saw only the lights of you floppy drive when you powerup the sytem .
maybe you can do a hotflash on another motherbord with a Award bios.
paulpeter

lucske74 wrote:For this award bios , you must not rename de biosfile .
This is only for Amibios
Ok, i tryed it also without renaming but it doesnt work either
lucske74 wrote: But I think that you saw only the lights of you floppy drive when you powerup the sytem .
Correct, he reads the disk for about 2 seconds and then no sign of live anymore.
lucske74 wrote: maybe you can do a hotflash on another motherbord with a Award bios.
Can you explain how it works or give a link to a website which explains it?

Thanx for all your help
lucske74
Chip off the ol' block

This is a good example for hotflashing http://www.viaarena.com/Default.aspx?Pa ... ticleID=37
don't forget the powerdown when the hotflashing is done , and put back the good bioschip back on the motherboard that you used for the hotflash.
ikabod

lucske74 wrote:If it is a Amibios ,then you must RENAME the biosfile to AMIBOOT.ROM
put it on the disk and let you floppy read the disk.
You see nothing on the screen , but you hear 4 beeps when it's done .
Then start you motherbord again and push the keys for come to in your Bios , like F2 or del . Load the defaults or the best system corrections.
i tried this procedure on my PCChips M791G motherboard that has an amibios. it did read the floppy, do the bios flash, rebooted my pc and i got it up and running. but after i shutdown my pc, or even restart my pc after several minutes, i'll have the same problem all over again. seem like the bios keep on loosing it's data.

if there's somebody out there who had the same experience as mine? and better if that somebody had asolution, it would be of great help! thanks in advance
Sharedoc
Notebook Genius

Did you try replacing the CMOS battery?