#19752 by NBrazil
Mon Sep 22, 2003 3:00 pm
I purchased a new Asus A7V8X-X motherboard on Saturday to replace a bad motherboard in an older computer. After installing the motherboard and powering up (with all components installed) everything seemed to be fine. I was immediatly placed into the BIOS to set the CPU speed, which I did. The system rebooted (after saving and exiting the BIOS) and began to load windows. However, I wanted to do a repair install of windows, so I turned the machine off and got my XP disk. Upon starting the computer again, I received a BIOS ROM CHECKSUM ERROR and the system was trying to detect media in the A: drive. Not knowing why the error occured, I tried to restart the system (reset). Nothing. No output to the screen. So I powered the machine off, and then on again. This time output, same error. I was able to eventually get back to into the BIOS, and the BIOS reported that the system hung do to an incorrect CPU speed setting (but is was set correctly, AMD Athlon 1200). I saved and exited again, and there was again no output to the screen, and no post. So, I tried to reset, got nothing. Powered the machine off, and now there is no output to the screen, no post, no beep codes, no matter what I do.
I tried removing the battery and clearing the CMOS with the jumper, no change. I tried another RAM stick, no change. I checked all the critical components (CPU, PS, RAM, Video Card) in another machine and they all work. I never attempted to flash the BIOS, and the only change I made in the BIOS settings was the CPU speed. As I said, this is a brand new board. Any thoughts on what may have caused the problem? Thanks. Let me know if you need more info.