New Motherboard BIOS ROM CHECKSUM ERROR

Hot-swapping and Boot-Block flash & Boot block flash and floppy support
NBrazil
New visitors - please read the rules.

I purchased a new Asus A7V8X-X motherboard on Saturday to replace a bad motherboard in an older computer. After installing the motherboard and powering up (with all components installed) everything seemed to be fine. I was immediatly placed into the BIOS to set the CPU speed, which I did. The system rebooted (after saving and exiting the BIOS) and began to load windows. However, I wanted to do a repair install of windows, so I turned the machine off and got my XP disk. Upon starting the computer again, I received a BIOS ROM CHECKSUM ERROR and the system was trying to detect media in the A: drive. Not knowing why the error occured, I tried to restart the system (reset). Nothing. No output to the screen. So I powered the machine off, and then on again. This time output, same error. I was able to eventually get back to into the BIOS, and the BIOS reported that the system hung do to an incorrect CPU speed setting (but is was set correctly, AMD Athlon 1200). I saved and exited again, and there was again no output to the screen, and no post. So, I tried to reset, got nothing. Powered the machine off, and now there is no output to the screen, no post, no beep codes, no matter what I do.
I tried removing the battery and clearing the CMOS with the jumper, no change. I tried another RAM stick, no change. I checked all the critical components (CPU, PS, RAM, Video Card) in another machine and they all work. I never attempted to flash the BIOS, and the only change I made in the BIOS settings was the CPU speed. As I said, this is a brand new board. Any thoughts on what may have caused the problem? Thanks. Let me know if you need more info.
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

Sounds like DOA (you observed static-safe handling precautions, of course ?) If it is new, take it back to the shop and get a replacement.
NBrazil

I kept the board in the orginal packaging until placing it in the case. It went directly from the package to the case. I was on a static free mat at the time. As I said, it appeared to work at first, but then proceeded to crap out. I plan to bring the board back to the dealer today and get replacement. I will take extra precautions to ensure I make no mistakes putting the board in the case next time (although, I think I did everything the best I could). Question, once the board is in the case, how cautious do I need to be about static? I never work on a rug or anything like that. Thanks for your reply.
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

If I don't have a tested wrist-strap I still use "equipotential bonding" to keep everything at the same voltage - I keep flesh in contact with the metalwork of the case (e.g. rest my bare arm on it) and handle the motherboard by the corner fixing hole or the shell of the connectors if they are connected to the motherboard earth plane (e.g. the metal case of the USB socket). What you did sounds OK to me.
nitroburn

I have an asus a7n8x and am having similar problems. When the system runs it goes fine but I have to reboot and reboot. very randomly it will boot. clearing cmos doesnt help. I thought I found the problem to it was my corsair RAM. It had similar problems listed on nforcershq.com for the nvidia chipset. I have used 2 other types, brands and speeds of ram to no avail.
It will not post.
It will not display anything but as soon as I hit the power button the monitor says it is going into sleep mode!??
I occasionally get the checksum error also. I have not been able to get it to boot for about 2 or 3 days now. I am looking into swapping it out for one that works.

I think that this must be an Asus problem then and not an Nvidia problem.

Any input on our problem would be appreciated!
Jim
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

Jim, is yours still under warranty ?
Have you got a decent PSU ?
nitroburn

I am having it RMAed back to where I bought it from, it is already approved. I have a 430 Antec Truepower PSU. So I know I don't have a bad PSU.

I wonder if we just were the ones that got the bad BIOS chips. The odds are low but with my bad luck anything is possible ;)

I will post a reply when I get a fresh board in to see if that solves the problem or not.

Jim

p.s. are you really from brazil? I just got back from there. I was in Joao Pessoa, Recife, and Arieal.
nitroburn

I am getting my replacement for my a7n8x today...as soon as fedex comes!! Hopefully it will solve my problem. I will post results.
nitroburn

I got the new board and flashed it to newest bios version and I am replying on this machine! Thanks for the input. Nbrazil try to get yours exchanged. I havent changed anything but the motherboard. Same model revision etc.

I will post back if I run in to any problems. Thanks! :D :o :lol: :wink:
nitroburn

it was stable. I don't know what it did but my dad left a note on it saying it was crap and he wanted a dell. It would not post this morning when I tryed to boot it. grrrr. new board same problem. i am going to try swaping the video card today to see if that is the problem. Sapphire Radeon 9600 pro with 256 mb of ram and 512 mb of corsair XMS PC3200 ultra low latency. I have tried putting an extra stick of ram in it to see if it would post to no avail. it was a ddr 333 corsair value select. No beeps nothing. I know i have the speaker hooked up because it worked last night when it would post. :evil: :!: :?: 8O