Not totally sure whats the matter - Desperate for help

Hot-swapping and Boot-Block flash & Boot block flash and floppy support
Spectre22
New visitors - please read the rules.

Ok, so it all started with me getting into my bios to do a lil tweaking to upgrade the performance on my video and memory. However, after i changed the settings, for whatever reason i would turn on the computer, it would start to boot up the bios, then stop before i could enter set up again. i tried many times to get back into the bios setup with no luck. finially i tried to reset it with the jumper. that was unsuccessful so i pulled out the battery for the bios to reset it. in doing this, i was able to get ascreen that said: press F1 to continue, Del to enter setup. I had never had this before but was happy it was there, i pressed F1 and everything was groovy. Then, later in the day windows update restarted my computer and i got the F1 screen again, i pressed it and got nothing. i repeated this over and over. Finally i went into set up and stupidly selected the return to failsafe settings, thinking that would solve my problem. Now all i get a blank screen, the computer starts, the harddrive spins for a while and then stops. all the while i have a blank screen.
Do i need a new bios? is there something i can do physically? must i replace the whole motherboard?

I have a phoenix awardBIOS. i cant look up the numbers for it, but from memory i believe it was: 215.215

please help me
ruelnov
Master Flasher

u have a system that's behaving erratically...

if u can post a close-up photo of your Motherboard and "Opened Power Supply" for us to have a closer look and so we could advise accordingly.
Spectre22

ok, tomorrow i will take pictures of my motherboard and my power source.
when you say "open power supply" do you want me to remove it and open the PS chasis?

here is a link to a picture of my motherboard:
http://www.msi.com.tw/images/product_im ... g/7093.jpg

and here is the bios it is running:
• 4Mb Award BIOS with PnP, ACPI, SMBIOS 2.3, Green and Boot Block.
• PC2001 compliant provides DMI2.0, WfM2.0, WOL, WOR, chassis intrusion, and SMBus forsystem management.
ruelnov
Master Flasher

ur motherboard appears to have no bulging caps, so let's have a look at the capacitors of ur power supply.
Spectre22

ok, ive opened my power supply (unfortunately i cant take pictures at the moment to show you) but the caps on the capacitors in the power supply are not bulging or leaking either. since i have no bulging caps on the motherboard and powersupply, what else do you recommend that i check?
the battery for my bios seems to be alittle loose in it's holder, is it possible that the connection isnt good enough? could i have fried my bios chip? would removing the bios chip and replacing it do anything?
ruelnov
Master Flasher

do u hear any beeps?

if yes, try to post here the beep sequence, such as 1 long/2 short, etc.

frying ur BIOS chip is a remote possibility, unless u have tinkered with some of its pins while power is ON.

try also to reset CMOS by removing the battery for at least 20 minutes, then POWER ON without the battery.
Spectre22

hmm, well unfortunately when i start the computer nothing happens beep wise. the hard drive spins for a while, the optical drives activate like theyre checking that everything is in order. just like the bios is working. but there is no output to the monitor, and then the optical drives stop and finally the hard drive. and it just sits there with the power light on and fans spinning.

ive tried the battery out and back in thing with no luck. it worked when i was originally tried to fix it, but what happened was that the computer digressed. the computer booted normally, then didnt fully load the OS, then didnt make it through the whole bios check. I was able to get into the bios once more and said to reset the settings to safe mode (thinking this would at least run the computer and let me figure out what was wrong, or reset it to the factory standards or something) but after that i stopped getting visual feedback, and the computer just did what i said up above.
Spectre22

so the next step: do i pay the 20 or so bucks to get a new BIOS chip? or do i spend 100 bucks and get a new motherboard?
H2O

Looking on the msi site your board I think has on board Graphics (ATI). Have you tried putting a video card in incase the shared memory has been disabled in bios. (preferable Pci)
Spectre22

yea, im running an nVidia 6800 GT
H2O

From what I have read a bios can get corupted when clocking a board and from what you have said it does sound like a bios problem to me.
The only other thing I would try is to hot swop with another board but look into the details of your chip(data sheets) and the one you will swop with ie size 256k 512k etc and voltage 3v 3.3v 5v etc and try using uniflash with the latestbios update for your board. Hasnt worked for me because of my chipset but may work for you.
Good Look m8