older pc ami bios trouble

Hot-swapping and Boot-Block flash & Boot block flash and floppy support
burnttrees
New visitors - please read the rules.

i was working on my friends older computer a gateway gp6-400c with an oem intel motherboard i was adding a 160 gig hd to the system to make a long story short after switching harddrives around for 2 days so he could switch everything over to the 160 i went to finish my job and then it died

here is a description i turn it on and the system acts like its going through post but it dosnt detect the ps2 keyboard until it starts the legacy detection it dosnt detect any hard drive at all the floppys were being deteced as a 720kb and a 2.88mb floppy drives even though it was giving an error saying the drives erent working ( or something) it also dosnt seem to be detecting the pci slots either im at wits end when it first did this i was thinking ok maybe force my way into the bios so i used a linux boot disk that has an option to go into the bios and it led me straight to the point that i was at already unfortunately i tried the removal of the cmos battery now it sais they are 2 2.88mb drives and it wont even boot the floppy i had the bios has an option in it that resets

i am wondering if i use the bios restore feature built into the motherboard with the updated bios if this will work at all the feature im talking about is a 3 pin jumper in 1-2 it saves the bios in 2-3 it (supposed) go into the bios setup with out the jumper it is supposed to restore the bios from a floppy without the video or realy anything else

any info would realy help (as long as its not buy a new mobo)
burnttrees

last night when i posted this i forgot to mention what i have tried to do

i have removed the ram harddrives and cables plus the floppy and cable and the cmos for 12 hours

i also tried to force the bios with a keyboard overload (holding down any key in my case)

tried starting the computer without any peripherals ie. no keyboard

tried to start it without hdd cdrom floppy and keyboard

i have switched the jumper on the motherboard so it was supposed to go straight into the bios setup to no avail

the bios is a

amibios - 03/22/99
4F4JZX0B.15A.0006.P04.9903221349

as mentioened it is a gateway gp6-400c it has

533 mhz proc
512 mb ram
8mg onboard video
onboard sound

please ask a question if i forgot something
burnttrees

ok i messed up i forgot the sight where i found the info for using restore to update the bios if anyone know what the file extension is supposed to be for and ami bios restore disk is?

what i remember is rather simple take the file update and change the extension for the patch to that of the restore the remove the jumper from the board (a model zx freeman motherbaord (intel gateway)) and start the system there is supposed to be a series of beeps saying the restore has started and then a long period while it loads the file then another series of beeps when its done

if i am wrong please tell me or if you can help
burnttrees

to who it may concern yes you can update your bios using the bios restore function without changing the file extention .bio is the required ext for restore and is the ext of the upgrades files so i now am able to return my friends computer with an upgrade to his bios (just praiseing god that he helped)

ps i gave the wrong bios string it was 4f4jz0xb.15a.0006.p04.9903221349 the new bios is the same just p09

thank you to those who viewed this