Ominous Symptoms?

Hot-swapping and Boot-Block flash & Boot block flash and floppy support
lpj97007
New visitors - please read the rules.

My Dell Dimension 8250 (with Dell Dimension System Bios A04) has been more and more frequently "hanging" during the loading of the Bios, as shown by the graphic at start-up. (About 3/4 of the way into the loading process, before any of the Windows-based start-up screens appear, the system just hangs indefinitely.) If I then use the power button to shut down the system and restart it, it always runs through the start-up system flawlessly.

On other occasions, it seems to get past the Bios-loading process, but then I get a blank/black screen indefinitely, with no further progress unless I restart as above.

Anything you can suggest regarding the implications of this, or further diagnostics that I should apply, would be appreciated. Should I try to reflash the Bios? Are there other things I can do to "log" the process in order to discover where it's hanging?

If you need more information regarding the system, please ask for it, and I'll do my best (with the understanding that most of this is beyond my level of understanding).

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Larry Johnson
Portland, OR
zonxar
Master Flasher

There are diagnostic LEDs at the rear of the case - have a look at them when the system is POSTing and make a note of their colours when it hangs. If you have the manual there should be a troubleshooting section that explains possible problems and what to do to fix it, or post what you find here and we will try to decipher what you tell us.

Have you run the usual spyware and virus scans and defragged the hard drive?

Dell has a Community Forum where you might find someone with a similar problem or you can also post your problem there too. You will find it here:

http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums

:)
lpj97007

Thanks, Zonxar, for the thoughtful suggestions. Are the diagnostic LEDs inside the case, or outside?

Unfortunately, there was no manual with this system, only rudimentary set-up instructions. Perhaps I can find something online at Dell.com, however.

I've run Norton Antivirus and the Microsoft Spyware software regularly, and never with any identified difficulties; the hard drive is defragged every week.

I'll check the Dell Community Forum. Thanks for the link.

Regards,
Larry
zonxar
Master Flasher

The LEDs are on the outside, just above the keyboard and mouse connectors - check it out here:

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/s ... tm#1105531

lpj97007

Thanks very much for the link. That helped a lot.

Larry
zonxar
Master Flasher

You're welcome, keep us posted on how you are progressing with the problem.