Partial hotswap success!

Hot-swapping and Boot-Block flash & Boot block flash and floppy support
scouse
New visitors - please read the rules.

Hi all

I wonder if someone could possibly give me some guidance. I recently flashed my laptop and had a power cut during it. (Worst luck) When I tried to reboot the computer is was totally dead. I decided to try and rescue the bios chip by hotswapping it with my other laptop. I used the excellent Uniflash utility and reflashed my bios. Now when I returned the bios to my old laptop, the computer would boot but hangs on the nvram check (this did not start) Can anybody advise me what could be causing this? Is it to do with the different chip sets on the 2 laptops?

Thanks for your time

Scouse
ajzchips
El cheapo dude

Check whether your laptop has some sort of CMOS Clear jumper, or if it has a coin battery you can remove.
ruelnov
Master Flasher

For the fact that your laptop was able to execute some POST routines, I'm quite sure the hotflash you did was successful (esp. when Uniflash did not prompt you with error messages during the hotflash), and it doesn't matter if the chipsets are different.
Ritchie
BIOS Guru

Are you able to get into the BIOS setup before the RAM check, or skip the RAM check before it hangs?

Also, if your laptop has any removable RAM, try taking this out and see if it stops hanging. Then if that works, try re-installing it after you reload BIOS defaults.