shuttle sv25 hanging

Hot-swapping and Boot-Block flash & Boot block flash and floppy support
baseball43v3r
New visitors - please read the rules.

i recently aquired a formfactor computer and i knew it had problems and that it hung on start-up. i figured the problem would be easy to fix and have decided to put in the effort to fix it up and use it. the computer is a Shuttle FV25 mainboard with a VIA VT8606T/686B chipset. it has linux installed on it but never seems to quite get there it gets to the second information screen and says "verifying dmi data pool" but then hangs after that which makes me think it is a bios problem as the bios doesn't know where to go. i've tried swapping HDD's and ram with no luck. and i've also checked the boot sequence several times over. if anyone has any advice please help me out any help is greatly appreciated.
the Bios info is as follows

03/12/2002-TwisterT-686B6A6LLH2AC-00
cp
BIOS Guru

remove all add-in cards, clear the cmos and load default settings afterwards. attach a floppy drive only and try to boot it. report back with the results.
baseball43v3r

i've revmoved the add in cards cleared the cmos and reloaded the default settings without luck. it gives me the same thing (loading dmi data pool.... success) and then it just hangs. i'm not sure exactly what you want me to boot from floppy though so if you could clarify that would be great
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

to exclude and harddisks or cdrom drives not playing nice. Next step, have a look inside the case for this:

http://www.badcaps.net
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
baseball43v3r

all the capacitors look fine...no swelling ot ozzing or smell of any kind
tomw

What is being suggested is to boot from the floppy disk. You should set the BIOS boot order to use the floppy drive first, then the HDD & CDROM. That way you are keeping the number of problem spots to a minimum.
If the BIOS is corrupted, you would get an error stating so, or the machine would be beeping at you. It does have a "pc speaker" to beep, doesn't it?
Get a formatted floppy and use the "sys a:" command. That will transfer the necessary files for the machine to boot to DOS.
Insert the floppy in the broken machine and attempt to boot. If you have set the floppy into the boot sequence, it will access the floppy, and attempt to boot to a DOS prompt.
tom