Soyo k7ada v1.0 partial or complete death?

Hot-swapping and Boot-Block flash & Boot block flash and floppy support
psalms34n1
New visitors - please read the rules.

when my soyo k7ada v1.0 is started up, all that happens is the fans kick on, the harddrive lights come on, i get no video and a long unending tone out of the speaker. this even happens when i disconnect everything from the board except the power supply. so to me, basically put it's dead. do i need a new bios?from all i've been reading, that's what it sounds like it is.

Andre'
psalms34n1@aol.com
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

A long unending tone suggests that the processor is running and complaining that an early part of power-on self test is failing; this typically happens with a memory fault. I would start by troubleshooting the memory.
Tested patched BIOSes. Untested patched BIOSes.
Emails *will* be ignored unless the subject line starts "Wim's BIOS forum"
psalms34n1
New visitors - please read the rules.

This happens whether there is memory installed in it or not.

Andre'
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

POST tests a lot more than just memory. I only told you the most common cause of a continuous tone - a problem with memory. Have you stripped the system down to a bare motherboard/cpu/ram/psu ? Cleared CMOS ? Swapped/removed the video card (if it is causing the problem, removing it should change the code to one long, two short IIRC) ?

If you have replaced the memory with known good memory of the right configuration, and the CPU is correctly configured, try swapping the CPU. If that fails a replacement BIOS is about the only thing left before you bin the board.
Tested patched BIOSes. Untested patched BIOSes.
Emails *will* be ignored unless the subject line starts "Wim's BIOS forum"