Stupid bios update!

Hot-swapping and Boot-Block flash & Boot block flash and floppy support
BerndW
New visitors - please read the rules.

Well.. Perheps you've already figured out what is wrong here.

I've done a biosmod, and nog my motherboard is dead. Familiar to anyone?

I have a Jetway motherboard with a Via 694TAS chipset. With a Intel Celeron 1200 Tualatin Processor.

Alright. I have used modbios6 version 2.00, because I wanted to overclock my pc. I was able to higher my CPU clock ratio. But not my Vcore.
Also in Aida32 my Vcore was 1.46 volts. Well.. I found this article and I wanted to do the same trick.
Well.. 1680 mhz was a bit too much, but I though 1500 with 125 fsb would do fine. Well. It didn't. I got at an fsb of 117mhz stable. Still on that 1.46 volts.

So! Because in my bios the Vcore option was disabled, and no other bios-update fixed that problem, I wanted to mod my own bios. So I backup up my current (working) bios, copied that one, and started modding with modbios6.

But then! I saw it wasn't disabled in modbios! I thought.. thats weird. So I used winflash to flash it up. And still not that one option in my bios with the next startup. Stupid Award software... :roll:

So! Then I thought... what if I changed the old value System 'default' and Setup 'default' both to 0.05 volts. That it will be forced to have a bit more voltage. well... 1.46+0.05= 1.51volts. Is it too much or something?

I got a cooler for an AMD Athlon 3000+ on my processor. So overheating my processor could be the problem..

So. Is my motherboard ready for junk, or my processor, or both... or is there perheps a possibility to get my old bios back, with the chance that it might work again?

I realllyy hope that one of you can help me! :)

greetzz Bernd
Sharedoc
Notebook Genius

Maybe 0.05 volts was out of range and caused voltage to be to low for the processor to start.

If the biod cfalsh chip is on socket, then you just need to hotflash it with some other motherboard.
BerndW

Can I flash it with any other bios chip, or do I need to have a specific bios chip for my chipset?

Though.. I don't understand how the voltage can be too low. Because the lower voltage always was good. Then a higher voltage should do better.. doesn't it?
Sharedoc
Notebook Genius

See FAQ for hotflash instructions.

Maybe the voltage became way too low?

BTW, did you study if Vore can be set from the motherboard jumpers/switches?
BerndW

The FAQ... you mean collected wisdom? I already checken there.. but those sites don't work.
I'll tried googling more... and got on this site

I do understand how I can hotflash my bios. But how can I remove that chip? It is not a DIN packaga, but a square chip with legs on all 4 sides..

Is there a special tool or trick for this?

tnx for the replies
Sharedoc
Notebook Genius

Is the square form factor bios chip in socket or soldered to the motherboard?

If it is soldered then you are in trouble.

if it is socketed, then you just lift it off with a small screwdriver.