Thinkpad 600E Onboard Memory error

Hot-swapping and Boot-Block flash & Boot block flash and floppy support
petiepotamus
New visitors - please read the rules.

Just got a Thinkpad 600E. The onboard memory is showing errors when running memchk.
Is it possible to disable the onboard memory, and just use the removable memory?
T0SH

Click search at the top of this page under the search for author section type "Sharedoc" without the quotation marks, this guy has forgotten more about modding the TP 600 series than most of us will ever know

The information you need and the method for doing so is there just be prepared to search for it

Cheers HC
jc_kahar

Hi people, i just got a thinkpad 600x but as fast as i got it i have problems, the problem is the onboard memory it doesn't works good so that i cant install linux on it coz the memory fails in the process, i need to disable onboard memory.

I was reading sharedoc's posts but i didn't find how to disable onboard memory, can somebody help me please?
jc_kahar

I found this information from sharedoc, "I got rid of the memory stability problem by disabling the 32M PC66 memeory that is built in the motherboard. I found out that byte 2B of CMOS controls the SDRAM banks. Bit b0 disables internal 32M memory. By changing the content from 80 -> 81 the 32M is disabled. ", so he tell us what to do, but can somebody tell me how im going to edit CMOS ????
jc_kahar

hey guys forget it i solved it already, if somebody wants to know mm well what i did was: turn on- f1 to eneter bios- config menu - ctrl+d (this step opens and hex editor) so you must change in column B row 20, you must change the value 80 for 81, so press f2 and turn of the computer, look turn it off dont exit the bios just turn off

thanks sharedoc i read ur posts and that gave me the base to solve my problem
Sharedoc
Notebook Genius

cheers!