First I must thank so much for all the excellent information on flash
circuits, flashing etc. detailed info and instructions regarding BIOS
things I have got on WimsBIOS pages and the messages on this
discussion forum.

Still there is one very essential thing I'm quite confusing on
and maybe missing some key info. Namely, how to recognize the
possible chances and what is the key and the best procedure to
try to wake-up (reincarnate!) a totally dead motherboard, on which
you may not have any hints about the reasons for the dying?

So, my case now is, I do have 3 dead motherboards, which I have
not been able to get waking-up, or even to give any sign of living,
despite several trials with some 20 different BIOS'es during the
last days. All the BIOS'es have been proved to be living, waking-up
totally, or by 80-90%, some certain motherboards, but not at all
these 3 troublesome ones ...

"Sorry, still one more comment, these motherboards did not react
at all either to their own BIOS'es, neither still like original nor after
re-flashing the right .bin to it. Rgds, Pete V."

My questions are

What is the key I may be missing?
What is the procedure during the first second when powering on?
What is missing when the command of the start-up procedure
is not transferred to the BIOS at all?

So, if there is any answers or hints to these, please tell me,
I would very much appreciate it.

Please, here is some details on the BIOS'es and motherboards
I have been doing the trials on

BIOS'es, most of them Award 4.51PG
i430FX, i430HX, i430TX, i430VX, OPTi-Viper etc.
for SMC, UMC, ITE, Winbond etc. I/O modules

Motherboards, all AT with Socket 7 and PI-level processors
DFI, Kaimei, PC Partner, ASUS, Tyan etc.

The troublesome ones are
1. DFI G586OPC with OPTi-Viper/SMC665
2. PC Partner TX820DS with i430TX/SMC669
3. Tyan type ?? with i430HX/SMC665
So, could the problem somehow be involved with the SMC I/O?

Thank you very much in advance for your replies.

Best regards,

Pete V.
Helsinki, Finland

[/quote]
Last edited by PeteV on Mon Jun 14, 2004 3:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
sulbert
Master Flasher

PeteV wrote:Sorry, still one more comment, these motherboards did not react
re-flashing the right .bin to it.
Hei

So there's "00" on the display of the POST card no matter what BIOS image you use?
I'd start with checking voltages on the boards.
PeteV
BIOS Rookie

sulbert wrote:
PeteV wrote:Sorry, still one more comment, these motherboards did not react
re-flashing the right .bin to it.
Hei

So there's "00" on the display of the POST card no matter what BIOS image you use?
I'd start with checking voltages on the boards.
Hi!

Thank you for your reply.

On all these 3 different troublesome mobo-cases the behaviour
with any BIOS'es, from the original own up to any known/unknown
"alien", is exactly the same

a) upon power-on the POST seems to begin quite normally
b) on the next second the presence of the HDD will be checked
c) but, then after a second or two the POST begins to "hesitate"
and will freeze without giving any sign to the screen, which
has all the time not been reacting at all staying completely black
d) the FDD seems to be untouched during all this few seconds
procedure

Still I'm after some key on this, as it seems to be some very very
small/slight connecting command or contacting procedure missing
from this all.

Rgds,

Pete V.
PeteV
BIOS Rookie

Hi!

I'm still from time to time working on this dead mobo case of mine.

Now I have ordered a POST ISA/PCI card from Elston Systems, UK,
I couldn't find any such from more close here, and may have it
in few days. It may be helping me to find the right components
or things to check.

But in the meantime, is there anyone who could tell me some exact
info on the BIOS chips memory map and the boot block. If I have
understood right, the boot block is some 8-16 kB in size and situated
either in the beginning (bottom) or in the end (top) of the chip memory.
So, when re-flashing the BIOS, is the boot block rewritten or not,
automatically or by order only, and is it included i.e. does it come
from the .bin or from somewhere else?

These thoughts came in to my mind after killing one more mobo,
after "playing" with it's BIOS chip on another mobo, same 12V voltage,
just taking a back-up of it, not re-flashing, and it "died" i.e. wasn't
anymore recognized on it's own mobo ... This particular mobo is somehow
"different", made in Finland on brand ICL (nowadays Fujitsu-Siemens).

My suspection now is, that the boot block location may have something
to do with some of these sudden mobo deaths, and seen from another
angle, the BIOS'es with differently located boot blocks can't wake-up
each others mobos'. That's why some mobos' can't get to wake-up,
if their BIOS'es have been re-flashed on a differently located boot
block mobo. Can this be true? Anyway, logical ...

Let's see what kind of funny findings I may get up next ...

Best regards,

Pete V.
NickS
BIOS Bodhisattva

PeteV wrote:But in the meantime, is there anyone who could tell me some exact info on the BIOS chips memory map and the boot block. If I have understood right, the boot block is some 8-16 kB in size and situated
either in the beginning (bottom) or in the end (top) of the chip memory.
So, when re-flashing the BIOS, is the boot block rewritten or not,
automatically or by order only, and is it included i.e. does it come
from the .bin or from somewhere else?
On reset, an x86 CPu will start executing instructions from xFFFF0. The instruction at this point is usually a jump into the bootblock, e.g. EA 5B E0 00 F0 will jump to address E05B in the boot ROM, which indicates that for this ROM the bootblock is in the top 8K. The BIOS image is a complete ROM image, so it includes the bootblock. Most BIOS flash utilities check to see whether the bootblock code is the same in both the old and new BIOS and warn you. You may have to agree to write the bootblock, or specify it in the command line. This may not be true for all flash utilities, especially PC manufacturers' own.
These thoughts came in to my mind after killing one more mobo,
after "playing" with it's BIOS chip on another mobo, same 12V voltage,
just taking a back-up of it, not re-flashing, and it "died" i.e. wasn't
anymore recognized on it's own mobo ... This particular mobo is somehow
"different", made in Finland on brand ICL (nowadays Fujitsu-Siemens).

My suspection now is, that the boot block location may have something
to do with some of these sudden mobo deaths, and seen from another
angle, the BIOS'es with differently located boot blocks can't wake-up
each others mobos'. That's why some mobos' can't get to wake-up,
if their BIOS'es have been re-flashed on a differently located boot
block mobo. Can this be true? Anyway, logical ...
Flashing the BIOS on a different mobo will not put the bootblock in the wrong position, though it could be important to flash "with bootblock" if the flasher thinks that the bootblock is in another position, as you want to flash the whole .BIN image and not miss 8K somewhere.
Tested patched BIOSes. Untested patched BIOSes.
Emails *will* be ignored unless the subject line starts "Wim's BIOS forum"
PeteV
BIOS Rookie

Hi!

Thank you so much NickS for your reply info, it was just what I was after.

Still there is some more details I would like to ask and hope to get exact
knowledge on.

a) why in some case the bootblock shouldn't be flashed?
b) from where Uniflash do take the BIOS code when flashing without
bootblock, from some BIOS back-up in memory or?, as it will not
ask for any .bin file in that case
c) what possible cause can be with that case of mine, when the BIOS
chip wasn't anymore recognized by it's own mobo after a back-up
copy of it was taken on another mobo
d) is there some "rules" on the BIOS chip pin voltages, as I have
got different measures from same pins from same chips on
different mobos', except the pin 1 is always the right flash
voltage 5V or 12V and pin 32 always 5V, all the others may vary
somehow on different situations

This is all for this time, I may come back with some other questions soon ...

Best regards,

Pete V.
lucske74
Chip off the ol' block

Hello Pete,

I found on the internet a nice program , Award editor. I can read now the bios off the dead motherbord , first I must do the hotflash so I can save the old romfile. Then I read the oldfile with the Award editor and I have a lot off information off that rom . You can also edit the setup and other things.
So I dit it for my dead 6340 msi mobo. Know I know that the old file vers 1.7 whas.

If you whises I send it to you .
PeteV
BIOS Rookie

Hi!

Thank you lucske74 so much for your reply.

Of course, please send me the Award Editor, I'm looking forward receiving it.

Best regards,

Pete V.
lucske74
Chip off the ol' block

Here you find the bios and drivers for your DFI G586OPC motherboard
ftp://www.dfi.com.tw/motherboards/586/586OPC/

and here you find the bios and manual for je PC PARTNER TX820DS
http://www.pcpartner.com/support/bios/i430.htm#tx

and her you find the bios for your Tomcat motherboard i430HX/SM665
you find here the drivers and manuals to
http://www.tyan.com/support/html/bios_support.html
Rainbow
The UniFlasher

PC Partner TXB820DS requires a working battery. It does not work correctly without a battery or with a bad one.
Patched and tested BIOSes are at http://wims.rainbow-software.org
UniFlash - Flash anything anywhere
PeteV
BIOS Rookie

Hi!

Thanks for your replies, I'll check the links and hints and will come back
soon with some comments on them, and maybe also with some new
findings on my project.

Regards,

Pete V.
PeteV
BIOS Rookie

Hi!

Please, following you have an interim report on this topic of mine, maybe even the final one, too, as two of these cases seem to be "mission impossible". But anyway, I'll sure be keeping touch on these matters on some other threads.

This investigation project of mine on the AT/S7/PI mobos' did actually begin some day in February 2004 covering some 10 randomly selected mobos', which I had bought for some $5-10/each, 3 also including their boxes. On the first round I found 7 of them to be in some working state, but 3 of them didn't "say a word" upon power-on and boot-up. This was also one of the purposes of the project, I would like to dig in and know how to diagnose a dead mobo, and more generally said, to get profoundly aquainted with what happens during the first seconds on the boot-up procedure. And these cheap throw-away mobos' did give me a good basis for such an investigation, and maybe even chance some day to save a lot on a case with a real expensive mobo/PC, and why not to earn with the knowledge on consulting on this, which has already proven to become reality ... OK, now I think I know quite much of this, but maybe still not yet all what would be needed ...

The 3 dead mobo cases were

1. DFI G586OPC with OPTi-Viper/SMC665
2. PC Partner TX820DS with i430TX/SMC669
3. Tyan S1563D with i430HX/SMC665

out of which the Tyan is now "reincarnated", but the 2 others are still dead, or maybe just sleeping ... But, the problem was not on the SMC's, even I firstly somehow doubted as all these happened to have the same brand.

A. The Tyan S1563D case no 3:

The Tyan did wake-up suddenly after tens of trials
- having all loose components out the power-on for some minute
- putting components back one by one, always with power-off/on between
- with all different jumper settings etc. etc.

But, don't ask me why/how it woke-up ...! I don't really know exactly, it just did it ...

Maybe all the jumper setting etc. were already in a good position for wake-up, and then ... after getting my brand-new POST card from US and changing the place of the video card to another PCI slot and putting the POST card into the previous video slot, suddenly the mobo woke-up ...!

But, the next day the mobo was dead again ... Then after some more investigation I begun to suspect the RTC and changed another good known one instead, luckily these both were on changeable connectors, and the mobo did "reincarnate" once again ...! So, the real problem was maybe somewhere on the RTC, or the PCI slot areas, maybe low-voltage or current/voltage lock-up or whatever ...

B. The DFI G586OPC case no 1:

After thorough investigation I finally noticed, that the CPU voltage is on the level 0.61V instead of 2.8V or 3.3V, which means there is a real problem on the voltages. This is probably due to some burnt component/s somewhere on the mobo, which may be really impossible to find out, as there is no schemes anymore available at the manufacturer, or anyway not available publicly ... In this case the POST card stays on "00" all the time and do not make even a single blink.

C. The PC Partner TX820DS case no 2:

This is much the same as the DFI G586OPC case. After thorough investigation I finally noticed, that the voltages on the BIOS pins do not too much follow the same rules as noted on several other chips'/mobos', so, the problem is probably on the voltages also on this case, but now on the BIOS chip area. This is also probably due to some burnt component/s somewhere on the mobo, which may be really impossible to find out, as there is no schemes anymore available at the manufacturer, or anyway not available publicly ... In this case the POST card goes rightaway to "FF" or even "F0" and do not make even a single blink after that, the same with any BIOS chip, good or bad or alien or without or ...

D. One more case ASUS P55T2P4:

During the investigations this, in the first place good working ASUS mobo suddenly died, hard to say why, but anyway I traced the problem to the RTC. Then I bought a spare, the same good known type, but this RTC was soldered into the board, and it was a very difficult job to get it soldered out ...! I finally got it out, but also got some defects on the holes/rods, so, this case was turned aside waiting for the coming better days maybe to be repaired somehow, or maybe not ever ...

E. Still one more case Kaimei/Jamicon KM-T5-V:

During the investigations this good working Kaimei mobo suddenly lost it's diskette boot ability ...! This case is described more in detail on this forum by the topic title "Diskette boot vanished, hard disk boot remaining OK!"

F. And still one more case Fujitsu-Siemens(ICL) x451:

During the investigations this F-S/ICL mobo did cause me much headache and did arrange a surprise with it's BIOS ...! This case is described more in detail on the forum "In-depth high-tech BIOS section" by the topic title "BIOS in NVRAM".

So, after all these months and cases there has been cumulated some knowledge in these topics in my head, after all the headaches ...

And, now I have almost 7 good working AT/S7/PI mobo's out of 10, i.e. just 3 totally dead, so far, as also in the beginning, and one suffering from diskette disablility ... But, what now to do with all these good working 6-7 mobos', which do anymore seem to be good enough only for throw-away ...?

Have a nice Summer! Let's keep in touch on these forums!

Best regards,

Pete V.
M.Sc.(IT) since the 60's
Helsinki, Finland
sulbert
Master Flasher

PeteV wrote: B. The DFI G586OPC case no 1:

After thorough investigation I finally noticed, that the CPU voltage is on the level 0.61V instead of 2.8V or 3.3V, which means there is a real problem on the voltages. This is probably due to some burnt component/s somewhere on the mobo, which may be really impossible to find out, as there is no schemes anymore available at the manufacturer, or anyway not available publicly ... In this case the POST card stays on "00" all the time and do not make even a single blink.
Supply circuits are quite easy to reverse engineer (at least compared to the others...). I guess you'll get the board working by just replacing a 3-terminal voltage regulator.
PeteV
BIOS Rookie

Hi!

Thank you sulbert for your hint.

I'm not too much electrical engineer, but did already assume the problem on this DFI G586OPC case to be found somewhere on that type of direction. But, let's see, when/if having time enough to dig into it ...

The other case PCP TXB820DS with the BIOS voltages "leakage" might be somehow same type, but it's probably much more complicated to trace the right burnt component/s for this.

But, mostly I'm sad with the case ASUS P55T2P4, which "injuries" were caused just by myself, and would be quite hard and precise work to get "cured" ... but it happens sometimes, when doing something ...

(hmmm ... all these cases, like electronic surgeon operating on the mobo curing injuries and changing bodies ...)

Best regards,

Pete V.
PeteV
BIOS Rookie

Hi!

The time of wonders is not yet passed!

After "playing" with the PCP TXB820DS AT/S7/PI mobo for some hours and trying with all known tricks to get it to give some sign of living, it suddenly woke-up!! But just by "a third", so far ...

I did get it to wake-up for boot-block flash with the trick "two top address pin shortcut on the BIOS chip", so, many thanks to ruelnov and Rainbow for this hint.

But, it wasn't too straightaway procedure, the mobo did react to this trick just after many trials with different preceeding starting actions, i.e. power-off/on, CMOS clearance, battery out/in, BIOS chip out/in with power-on/off etc., and all this was tried with several different BIOS chips/codes, some did work properly for this, some didn't react at all. But, I didn't yet get into the real key for this, there were too many variations on these so far.

But further, the mobo did wake-up just for this, i.e. for "some third", as there is still some real problem somewhere on the BIOS area, on voltages maybe ... The boot-up/POST procedure do not start properly, at the start the POST card will stop in the beginning mostly to "06", sometimes to "46/47" with or even without the CPU, and sometimes to "00" without anyway too remarkable logic for these all. When shortcutting the DIP32 pins 2 and 3, on some start-up trials, with so far not too well recognized detailed background status, the boot-block flash is activated and everything done properly and well until the final of the flash procedure, when the mobo starts a continuous beep ... This probably means, note, there is no video present at this procedure, that the flashing was unsuccessfull, maybe upon the final checking. All the tried BIOS chips are proven to be in good condition and working or flashed properly on other mobos', so, the problem can't be on them, but maybe on some signal/component related to the final checking.

So, as a conclusion, as the boot-up is not activated properly at the start-up with any BIOS chip/code, and the shortcut-forced boot-block flash not succeeding to it's final, the mobo can't got waked-up for a proper boot-up/operation, just for this "third". Maybe after some more trials/investigations the hiding signal/component problem would be found, some nice coming day ...

Best regards,

Pete V.