uniflash "file size does not match Rom size"

Hot-swapping and Boot-Block flash & Boot block flash and floppy support
KenH
Chip off the ol' block

Bit of a bump I know, but I had the worst luck with this board recently...
After 3+ years i've finally made the time to build myself a better server
than the dual P3 600 system I had, I've been buying parts for
this Tyan board bit at a time, good video, good case with plenty of air circulation
via 6 fans, good power supply, a couple of samsung 500gig HDs, 2 x combo burners,
2 x athlon MP 2000+ cpu's with 2 thermal take heatsinks...
Figured I'd probably need to update the V103 bios in it to V105 for the large HDs,
downloaded it from Tyan, updated it with the phlash16 app that it came with, rebooted
& was a dead duck...
Tried hotflashing the chip in other boards with uniflash but without success...
The original V105 bios has extra data on the end, so I cut it to 524,288 bytes
for the hotflashing at 1st, then noticed the file had more than half of the beginning
as "ff", so I cut it again to 262144 bytes, & managed to successfully hotflash it to a couple
of 2mb (256kb) chips, & the board was back up & running server 03 like nothing was wrong...
I then attempted to hotflash the original chip in the board using a dos 6.2 bootdisk & uniflash
1.40, but it still wouldn't flash the original chip, tried the phlash16 app as well but still no luck
with the original, tried with an eprom programmer when I got to work, & still no luck...
Seems the chip has burnt out when originally updating it, according to uniflash, some sectors
in the middle, & 3 on the end {bootblock} ...
Anyhow, I now have it running with an AM29F040 chip using uniflash & the 512 trimmed from
514kb v105 file, & figured I'd help some other poor soul like me in the future, by posting my
"trimmed for uniflash" files here, should they be stuck & need to hotflash another chip in
another board to revive it like I did...

Download the trimmed fixes here
biosdude
New visitors - please read the rules.

Both the BIOS ROM and BIOS Flash Update Tool, you should use the one that is exactly meant for your board. And exactly from your maker's site.
for example, Intel mother board from ASUS: Dont use BIOS ROM or Update Tool from Intel site. Use the one from ASUS
KenH
Chip off the ol' block

biosdude wrote:Both the BIOS ROM and BIOS Flash Update Tool, you should use the one that is exactly meant for your board. And exactly from your maker's site.
for example, Intel mother board from ASUS: Dont use BIOS ROM or Update Tool from Intel site. Use the one from ASUS
I'm guessing you're not referring to my post no..?

I used the original update & flash tool from tyan, for the tyan board, my plcc chip burnt in the process of
updating it "correctly"..
I trimmed the original to allow uniflash to flash it to another chip via a hotflash method, which worked for me...
The original poster here was stating that the tyan bios update was 514kb, I posted the trimmed ones for uniflash...
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

most likely, no. flashing smaller chips is usually not a problem, bigger chips is. apart from that the pinout needs to be the same, not sure how that is with 256/512 chips.
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...