VH6

Hot-swapping and Boot-Block flash & Boot block flash and floppy support
Noel
Master Flasher

I have an Abit VH6 with both IDE cannot detect hard drives. Is bios update necessary to fix the problem?
Motherboard saved!
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

Have you got a small harddisk to test with? Something like 10 or 20GB? In the mean time I'll check and see if there's an updated bios with a fix or if we can fix it ourselves if no update available.
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

System error, strike any user to continue...
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/bio ... &model=113

Flash the latest version as it is fixed for large harddisks. That "and above" statement is wrong, 137GB is the limit.
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

Noel
Master Flasher

Thnx edwin :)

But the thing hard drives big or small capacity, cdrom drives or any optical drives are not detected. Pls help.
Motherboard saved!
cp
BIOS Guru

(double-)check the ide cabeling, check the jumpers on the drives (master/slave) and check if the ide controllers are enabled in the bios.
Noel
Master Flasher

cp wrote:(double-)check the ide cabeling, check the jumpers on the drives (master/slave) and check if the ide controllers are enabled in the bios.

@ cp: Thnx for the quick reply.

I have done/check those items but still it wont detect any IDE hard drives and optical drives. Both IDE1 and IDE2. Does the bios has something to do with it?
Motherboard saved!
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

I fear the controller has died then :(
Have you got any add-in IDE cards (ISA or PCI)? If so, disable the onboard controllers (not the disk options) power down, put in add-in controller card and try again. If it finds the drives the board is on its way out....
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

Noel
Master Flasher

@ edwin:

Thank you for the reply. I agree with you.
Motherboard saved!
cp
BIOS Guru

just for the protocol: a dead ide controller is possible, but _very_ _very_ rare. i'd flash the latest bios, load default settings in the bios and check the drives & cables again (maybe on another machine).
you could download (debian) linux installation floppy disks and connect the disks to the ide port waiting for the kernel to query the ide ports. maybe something interesting comes up ;)
edwin
The Hardware Archivist

I agree it's very rare but this board is old enough to be a candidate... I think I've kicked out 3 or 4 boards now on a total of 200 so it's not THAT uncommon to see one every now and then.
edwin/evasive

Do not assume anything

Noel
Master Flasher

Thanks for the inputs guys. Appreciate it. I agree and maybe if I have time I will have to tinker the motherboard to see if something interesting will come up too.
Motherboard saved!